Scrap Wood Beach Art

$35

Memorial Day marks the official beginning of Summer. And, for many of us that means trips to the beach. Although, Summer may be a little different this year because of Covid 19, hopefully we can still get in some much needed beach time.

This beach themed project grew out of leftovers from another recent project. I had cut 2x4 pieces of wood into little house shapes & with the extras I decided to create beach cabanas.

I gave the wood a coat of the color Fluff from the Dixie Belle Paint Company. Then I added colorful stripes.

For the stripes I used the Dixie Belle colors, Cobalt, Colonel Mustard, Florida Orange, Tree Frog Green, and Honky Tonk Red. I added the color Caviar to make a seam down the front of the cabana & to highlight the stripes.

To create a background/base for the cabanas, I added Fluff and Dixie Belle Blue to a 24" x 24" wood board.

I used a damp rag to wash the Fluff and Dixie Belle Blue onto the board to create the look of the sky.

I mixed the color Sand Bar with Sea Spray Texture Additive to create sand and dunes.

I covered the bottom section of the board with Sea Spray, then pressed the cabanas into the "sand".

Once dry, the Sea Spray acts as a glue to hold the cabanas in place. But for added durability, I screwed the cabanas onto the board from the backside.

I hand painted little flags on top of each cabana.

I used my Cricut Maker to cut a vinyl stencil that reads, "Life is better at the beach." I used the color Fluff for the words, then game them a little black highlight.

Life really is better at the beach!

Virginia B