Buffet Makeover - With Video Tutorial

$200

This buffet was in very good shape, but my client wanted to brighten up her living room and the wood was too dark for her taste.

Prepping and Priming

I started by cleaning the buffet with a mix of water and vinegar, then applied two coats of clear shellac to prepare for the paint.

Spray Painting

After the shellac was dry, I sprayed a coat of Benjamin Moore Steel Wool, which is a beautiful medium gray. Watch my video to see in details how I use my paint sprayer.

Preparing for Second Coat

I let the first coat dry to check what areas needed more coverage and also to remove unwanted dirt spots.

Light Sanding between Coats

With a 400 grit sandpaper, I removed all the imperfections, then wiped the whole piece again with a damp paper towel.

Finally I applied a second coat. You may need a third coat depending on the color you are working with.

Brushing Unpainted Edges

I removed all drawers and opened the cabinet doors and painted the edges not covered by the spray, using a small flat brush.

Applying Black Glaze

Using a chip brush, I applied black glaze on the painted piece, starting with the drawers.

Wiping off Excess of Glaze

With a baby wipe, I wiped off the glaze moving my hand back and forth across the drawer, until the black streaks had the look I was going for. I repeated these steps one small area at a time in the whole piece, then let the glaze dry for 24 hours.

Sealing

My final step was to spray three coats of water based clear topcoat. I also replaced the pulls with this shiny gold ring pulls that really popped over the new color.

Visit my blog to see more pictures and details on this tutorial.

Thank you!

Video Tutorial - How to Spray Paint and Glaze a Buffet

For more details on this tutorial check out my blog post and remember to watch the video!

Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Jana

Why did you apply the shellac and paint with the drawers in the buffet? I'm thinking the drawers prevented parts of the buffet from being covered.

• Sue Dingmann

Great tutorial Pat, one question, do you add water to the top coat for the sprayer?

• Michelle Dodson

Not sure why you didn't remove the drawers and doors before painting? (maybe you answered this in the video, which I am just too lazy to watch). But shellacking first is a great tip!

I would have preferred the dark hardware against the grey personally, but the end result is just stunning.

• Chris

Which spray paint gun did you use?