Asked on Jun 17, 2020

How to revive sage plant?

HomeroadAgnes ChrzanowskaOuina
+11

Anyone know what's going on with my sage plant? the leaves are turning a little purpleish brown and i'm not getting big beautiful leaf growth anymore. they're a little wilty. thanks!!

• It could be a few things. It could be a fungal infection, or it could just be old. Here's a link with more information:

https://www.hunker.com/12492000/why-is-my-sage-plant-wilting

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Could it be gray mold?

Here is a link for your review.

https://extension.umn.edu/plant-diseases/gray-mold-flower-garden

Hi Kelsey: You might try repotting it, the soil may be depleted of nutrients and you may be over watering it. Dip the stems in Hormone Rooting Powder, and push them into a pot of moist compost. Place the potted cuttings somewhere light and frost-free, and keep the compost moist but not wet. Most of them (but probably not all of them) will take root, and within a couple of months you will have a number of new Sage plants. Plant in in medium to full sun. If you are growing it indoors, place your pot near a sunny window. Sage is a fairly drought-tolerant herb, and even when the leaves look wilted, a little water perks the entire plant right up. Wait until the soil is dry to give it a thorough watering. Dry soil is one of the simplest problems to remedy when it comes to sage leaves wilting. Although sage plants tolerate the heat well, they still need enough moisture in the soil to keep up with evaporation on hot days. Water the soil, not the plant so that the roots get the water. Good luck

• Cindy

Hi Kelsey. Is there a chance that your sage plant met with a frost? The purple/brown colors are generally what happens to plants with frost. I lost an entire garden to frost a few years back. Had to replant all new plants. Try gently pinching off any dead leaves. Good luck Kelsey. Hoping all is well with you.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Kelsey, sorry you are having problems with your sage. I hope this information helps you grow a beautiful plant. Growing Tips for Herbs: Why is My Sage Dying?

www.motherearthliving.com › in-the-garden › growing...

May 7, 2009 - A: Sage (Salvia officinalis) is a member of Labiatae or the mint family. This herb is a fairly resilient herb, so it can bear a trial-and-error gardening ...

• Cynthia H

Hi! I would re-pot it in some fresh soil, cut it back, water it and give a chance to bounce back. Plants can be amazingly resilient. Have you changed it's location, lighting, etc., recently? Good luck and stay safe!

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

I would take it out of it's pot, check the soil for any bugs etc. split the plant and pot pieces up in new compost/soil, water and wait. You could find you have more than one healthy plant in the end! Best wishes......

• Rymea

It might be over watered. Don't water it until the top inch of soil is dry and then water until the water runs out the bottom of the pot. Indoors, once a week is probably enough.

• Lynn Sorrell

fungal issues transplant roots into clean dry soil and cut off damaged tops to ground level throw out all contaminated foliage( in bag in garbage so you do not contaminate pants soil ) then let it dry out extremely well between watering & needs good drainage as well. only water early in day and do not water on the leaves/foliage soil only. it should regrow just fine full bright sun

• Morgan McBride

I'd cut off the dead bits to help it focus it's growth on the healthy parts

• Janice

I agree with Cynthia. It may just be depleted due to old soil. I don't think it has been over watered as I was always told over-watering usually results in yellowing limp leaves. Probably best to repot in fresh new potting soil and take care and give it special attention for a month and perhaps it'll renew itself.

• Ouina

Looks like over watering. (I am a horticulturist with 40 years experience.) Good advice above but I would also do the following:

• when/if you repot, place some small rock/stones in the bottom of the pot for drainage before repotting. (This is good for any plant you are planting in a pot inside or out.) This ensures good drainage for the plant.
    • do not let the pot sit in water when you water. If you are using a saucer outdoors, flip the saucer over and sit the pot on top of the saucer. When you water thoroughly, water will flush the soil and run out. It will be difficult to over-water. If you are growing indoors, use some decorative stones in the saucer and place the pot on top of the stones/rocks. Water the plant in the sink when the soil is dry to your second knuckle (good rule of thumb when watering), let the water drain away and then place back on top of the small stones. This way if there is any water still dripping out, you won't be keeping the plants roots wet/soggy. Sage does not like "wet feet".

If it's not overwatering, it could be spider mites or other insect/pest damage. I can't tell from the photo. But if I had to make an educated guess, I would assume overwatering - soggy soil resulting in "wet feet" and rotting the roots.

Lots of luck!

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I am sorry that you have problem with that ..but try this pin ...it worked for me ... good luck https://www.pinterest.com/pin/35325178297156577/

• Homeroad

It looks like it needs water but it could be pot bound. Try transplanting it into a larger pot with new soil.