Repurposed Materials: Thrift Store Lampshade Into Cheese Platter

$50

Today I'm going to show you how to make a cheese platter out of repurposed materials from a lampshade! This is a fantastic repurposed ideas tutorial that will show you a really cool way to turn an old lampshade, ready for the garbage, into an adorable cheese platter ready to impress any guest in your home!!!

What does repurposed mean?

When I create posts on repurposed materials, for me that usually means taking something old or something I no longer use for its traditional use, and turning it into a different product or tool so that I can use the same material in a different way.

I'm going to do that today when I show you how the bones of a lampshade and turn it into the base of a cheese platter! It's an excellent upcycle idea (I use repurpose and upcycle often interchangeably) and give new life to an object that might otherwise end up in the trash.

Why is repurposing important?

Another reason why I love repurposed items is that they are mostly free! If we can give an old item new purpose, then it's a brilliant money-saving way to use what we already have without having to buy something new. Plus it means less trash in our landfills, less waste overall, and a fun and creative project to make out of something we may already have on hand!!!

What is another word for repurpose?

As I mentioned above, I usually use repurpose and upcycle interchangeably. Upcycle ideas and repurposed ideas to me mean the same thing. The main point is to rescue something from the trash or the thrift store and give it new life as its job is different than what was originally intended to do.

What materials do I need to make a cheese platter using a repurposed lampshade?

• Stop by your local thrift store and find an old desk lampshade like the one pictured above
  • Black spray paint
  • Olive wood small platter (you can use any flat surface for this, but I just love the grain pattern of olive wood. It tends to be a bit pricier, but I was willing to pay it for both the look and quality.) The platter I bought can be used by itself as a cheese platter, but I'm just giving it extra height by adding one repurposed material from the lampshade to the wooden platter.  
  • Aleene's Liquid Fusion Clear Urethane Adhesive

How do I make my cheese platter using repurposed materials?

1.  Start by ripping or cutting off all of the material that was glued or wrapped around the metal bones of the lampshade. You can discard the material.
  2. Spray paint the metal lampshade bones black. **A word of advice when using spray paint - it is better to put on two or three thin coats rather than put on one thick coat. Spray paint is thin and drips easily.  

3. Let the metal portion of the lampshade dry for a few hours.

4. Use Aleene's Liquid Fusion and glue the metal piece onto the center of the wood board.

5. Let that dry for at least 24 hours.  

6. Hand wash your cheese platter before using it and then you can go ahead and add your sliced cheese, crackers, and maybe some fruit like grapes for your display. If you want to cut your cheese with the grooves in it like mine, then grab this handy Vegetable Crinkle Cutter and French Fry Slicer that I have.

Won't this cheese platter look great on any snack table you have for an upcoming event? Who would have thought that using a repurposed lampshade would make your next cheese platter look chic and fantastic!! Plus since this is a fun idea to upcycle - you just saved that metal piece from ending up in a landfill!

After you use your cheese and cracker platter, please note that this is not dishwasher safe and needs to be hand-washed after each use.  

If anyone would like a free printable of "Laughter Is Good Medicine" that you see in the image above, go here and you can download your copy for free so you can print and frame your own!

If you make one of these yourself, be sure to leave a note in the comments of how it turned out! You can pin this project in Pinterest and add your photos there for everyone to see!

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Maura White

• Jan

Love your projects send me more.

• Rhonda

I just bought two matching lamps. One has that metal piece so I'm good to go.