How do you determine what wall to put shiplap on?

Maura WhiteJohnavallance82Kmdreamer
+9

I've read that the first wall you see when you walk in the front door. I have a hall way that you see as soon as you walk in my house? Thank you

• Any wall you want to feature, Debby. I'm a fan of 'do what YOU like'!

• Redcatcec

What seems the best choice for me would be the 2 long parallel walls and use the end wall for accent.

• Morgan McBride

You can put it on literally any wall you'd like

You put it on any wall you want. There is no standard rule of thumb.

• Ken Erickson

I don't think it matters. A wall without windows is easier - less cutting.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree with the first wall you see or the "unique" wall in a room. The shorter wall - the one with the most doors etc. would also be a cool way to decide.

• Kathy Gunter Law

A hallway is fine for shiplap but you want to make sure it carries an impact. It is a great deal of work so I would make sure and choose the wall that I would enjoy seeing the most.

• I'd say pick whatever wall you'd like, there aren't necessarily any rules.

• Dee

I like board and batten on a wall that you can see when you enter the room. Like in a bedroom the wall where your headboard would be.

• Kmdreamer

Put it on the mIn wall you will see when you walk into the room

• Johnavallance82

Hello Debby,

The wall at the end of the hall to make it come towards you, Going across the width of the hall, there by seemingly pushing the walls outward. If this wall is darker, it will help with the illusion too. If you want to make your hall look wider, put Shiplap half way up the wall from the bottom to waist height. Up and down rather than the length of the wall. Then colour that part darker than the top part of the walls. Use MIRRORS and Pictures along to deceive and interest the eye on route. Best wishes.

• Maura White

Then how about on both sides of that hallway?