Vintage Children's Desk Makeover

$100

Adorable vintage children's desk madeover from boring and outdated to pretty in pink.

We found this gem scrolling through marketplace looking for a desk for my son's room. We thought this might work, but when we went to pick up realized it was a little bitty piece and my son probably would have a hard time using that chair some decided to buy it anyway and give it a fresh look perfect for a little girl's room. We started by disassembling the desk and chair, knowing it needed to be thoroughly cleaned and sanded since the finish was failing from years of use. After removing all the hardware we used a scotch brite pad with Krud Kutter to clean. After letting it dry completely we sanded it down using our favorite sander, the Surfprep. I've mentioned this sander so many times because it really makes the job so much easier, especially on curves.

We love a fresh clean start! You can see the difference here how much better it is looking already.

I knew I wanted to keep the three chair spindles in the middle natural wood color rather than paint, to give the piece a modern and fresh look.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Here is the Surfprep working its magic on the roll top slats. The curved pad keeps the profile safe and doesn't damage or strip the wood of its shape. After everything was sanded, BIN primer was applied to the parts that were going to be painted. We sprayed two coats of Country Chic Paint in a color called Peachy Keen, lightly sanding in between each coat and removing dust with a tack cloth

To seal, we sprayed two coats of their Tough Coat. After it was dry, we decided to do some decoupage and molding for the drawers.

We used mod podge for the floral paper, laying down one coat, placing the paper, letting it dry then placing another two coats over it to seal. We then used some rope molding cut with the miter saw to frame the drawers. Lastly, we used really cool bendable moldings from Woodubend to cover the joints where the moldings meet.

With Woodubend you use an air gun or hairdryer to heat up the molding, then wood glue to attach.

Here is a close up of the completed drawers.

Here it is freshly madeover. We are sure this will make a little girl very happy.

Thanks for following along.

Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try

To see more: //Instagram.com/Aminidesignashburn

• Lucy Marie Bernier

Didn’t you say it was for your son ? Or did you change ur mind and now it’s a family piece ? A Nautical for a boy would have been nice. But I’m not judging it still a very nice quality for whatever gender.....👍👍👍👍

• Patsy47

puleeze read the whole article...!..after seeing it they said it was too small but was an ideal project piece.....

• Rain Workman

This is absolutely gorgeous desk! I love it !

• Barb

I have this same desk that was mine when I was young. I'm afraid to paint or change it. Won't that take away from it's value?? I'm 71 yrs old, was given this desk when I was adopted at 2 1/2.