Asked on Aug 7, 2020

How to I fix this damaged dry wall? ?

Agnes ChrzanowskaCynthia HDeb K
+15

This is a doorway between a living room and dining room. We never framed it out & it became damaged from the dogs/kids knocking into it. I know my attempt to stick plaster in there is horrible, what else can I do before we frame it ?

The damaged spot
The cause of the damage, the framing/trim work we never completed.
  • I would cut out the damaged section, cut a new piece of sheetrock to fit, attach it, tape it, mud it, prime and paint.

• Michelle N.

Thank you both! I will try this.

• Redcatcec

The damaged section needs to come out, to do this cut it away with a utility knife. Measure a new piece of drywall to fit the area and put it in. From there apply the tape for this purpose, cover with mud and smooth it out. Or if you think joint compound will fill it instead, use that. Apply it with a putty knife. Prime the area after letting it dry, paint to match the existing color.

Another suggestion is to cover the area by framing it out with wood on all 3 sides of the wall.

Either way with your busy family you might consider getting clear plastic corner strips with self adhesive to protect your repair. Best to you.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Cut out the damaged section. Then cut a new piece to fit and screw in. Then mud and sand. Make sure to cut to mud stud do you will have a board to screw it to. You can put a criss board if needed.

• Morgan McBride

Hmm maybe you could use spackle to fix it?

I would use no shrink drywall patching compound to fiil in the damaged area. If you cut the damaged area you would need to cut out up to the next stud. Which would be about 14" away. You need a solid backing for a patch

• You could cut out the drywall and redo it in that spot. That might be the best way.

• Mogie

Or you could take this as a sign from the universe that it is time to remodel and do away with that by opening up the area.

• Flipturn

Often diy'ers try to save money by not completing a project thoroughly or properly. This example reinforces that in the longer run, these decisions save neither time or money. They create more work and more headaches.

Sometimes there is no substitute for a project being finished off correctly.

• Dee

To do it the right way you will need to cut out the spot and replace with new sheet rock. Fast and easy way, use Bondo, Sand several times and prime and paint.

• Simple Nature Decor

Use a paint scraper and sand it, then apply stain blocker and paint over it . Here is the link for stain blocker https://amzn.to/2FdfrDp

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would completely replace the sheet rock, there is enough damage done that I don't think you could patch it up.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

This drywall repair kit works really well: https://amzn.to/31MZaNc

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com

• Deb K

Hi Michelle, you will want to repair the drywall, then you can buy the metal corners for it, cover them in mud and you are good to paint, you can even put a guard on afterwards, hope this helps!

• Cynthia H

Hi! I've patched a few walls in my time. For the time and effort that would be needed to get a decent result with this, I would cut it out back to the studs, piece in new drywall and finish it. It seems like a lot of damage for that area, though. Even finished drywall can be dented and pushed in if it is in the way of stampeding kids (I learned that when one of my daughter's friends kicked a hole in an interior wall demonstrating a karate kick), so think about how they did the damage and how you can prevent future damage as you put it back together. Sometimes a doorway needs to be wider or placed differently. Or maybe it's just that it was unfinished. You'll be the best judge of that. Good luck and stay safe!

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would just cut out that destroyed part and replace with new one to save some headache