This project took me about 8 hours to do, which is completely ridiculous. :0] It will NOT take you that long to do. I had multiple compounding issues such as:
- I had 4 frames and 21 drawers to paint.
- Some of my storage units were in a basement that had mice and the mice had gotten in and all over everything, plus some of these had been in an attic that had some bugs, so I felt extremely compelled to wash the heck out of these. Washing them was a problem in of itself, because when you wash the frames, water gets in between the rails that separate each drawer and even after drying them all off, the water would still drip out so I had to dry them 3 times.
- Even though I know about overspray being a concern, I stupidly laid everything out at the same time so overspray powder got all over each piece. It was kind of dark in the garage and some of it I couldn’t see so this all caused 2 more problems.
- The overspray of the blue frames got on the drawers that were getting painted white, since I couldn’t see this, the blue showed through and I ended up having to do 3 or 4 coats instead of 2.
- The overspray also got on all parts of the drawers that I wasn’t even painting, so the clean up was enormous. Boy, the “What Not To Do” list is long.
I will explain in this tutorial how to save yourself a lot of time and grief.
I’m surprised how durable the paint ended up being- as of writing, it's been 1 1/2 years. If you take your finger nail and try to scrape it, it will scratch. But even though I haven’t been super gentle using these, they have held up quite well.