Mini Wood Mosaic Coaster

$4

I had a bunch of scrap wood from past projects lying around, so I put them to use with these mini mosaic coasters! Just gather up a bunch of scrap wood for this easy project.

Gather up your scrap wood!

My scrap wood stips were already painted. You can leave yours natural, or paint them to match your decor or occasion.

Cut a Piece of Plywood Backer Board and Trim Your Scrap Wood.

I used my table saw to cut a piece of 4" x 4" plywood for the backer board of my coaster.

Then I trimmed all the scrap wood to fit the board. In retrospect, I could have done all the trimming after the thing was assembled.

Play Around With the Order of Colors

Move around the pieces of scrap wood until you get a color arrangement that pleases you.

Glue and Nail the Scrap Wood to the Plywood

If you don't have a nail gun, it's okay! The wood glue is the most important part anyway.

So at least glue the pieces down onto the plywood.

If you want a pneumatic nailer, this one is called a pin nailer because it shoots very tiny 23 gauge nails that are basically pins. I love it and use it anytime I make a mosaic.

Now Grab Your Favorite Coffee Mug and Show Off Your Coasters

You can clear coat your coasters, but you'll need to use something that holds up well to moisture, like Helmsman Spar Urethane.

Or perhaps try some thick counter top epoxy to give it a thick glossy finish.

See the full tutorial on Girls Build Club blog here.

Stop By My Blog, GirlsBuildClub.com, For More Projects!

I also send out new projects about once a month via email.

If you want to join the club, sign up here!

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Liesell @GirlsBuildClub

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Girls Build Club

• Karena Stetson

Why are the wood strips much wider in the assembly process but very thin in the final product?

• Melanie Scott Beerman

What about the thicknesses of the pieces being different? How did you have so many that were all the same?

• Girls Build Club

Good question! I always use lath wood strips when I’m making mosaics. So I have a ton of scrap wood left over from all my art projects. They are different widths but since it’s lath it’s always the same thickness. About a quarter inch thick. Hope that helps!

• Em

If you don't want the nails to show try gluing with Loctite construction that comes in a caulking tube. I love that stuff.

The colors are lovely.

• Girls Build Club

Great tip! I use wood glue AND nails which really isn't necessary for coasters at all. But I'm in the habit of it from making large wall mosaics. :) thanks for the comment!

• Val

Really love this.