Making an Apothecary-style Cabinet

$20

I picked up this plain, green, boring set of drawers from FB Marketplace and I knew exactly what I wanted to do to make it more stylish. It seemed like the perfect size and look to create an apothecary-style cabinet!

Original piece

Here's is the original set of drawers. A plain piece of furniture.

Sand

I wanted to stain the drawer fronts so I sanded those down to the wood. Everything else was going to get a coat of paint so I did a quick sanding to prep it for paint.

Find your paint

I picked up this dark gray color at Lowe's in the mistinted paint section. Always check the mistake paints for great deals. I got this $25 can of paint for $2.50!! And I've used this color on multiple projects.

Paint

I gave everything two coats of paint.

A little detail

Each drawer front had an indentation in the center to make it look like two different drawers. I wanted to paint it gray to match the base so I grabbed a foam brush and broke off the handle. This helped me get a good grip on the foam part and use the top edge to carefully paint the center indentation.

Stain

I used Varathane Dark Walnut stain for the drawer fronts. I used a rage to apply the stain and the a second, clean rag to rub off the excess stain.

Furniture Wax

I finished the piece with a black furniture wax. This gave it a darker, dingy/vintage look. I applied the wax with a brush and then used a microfiber cloth to rub off the excess.

New Hardware

I got a great deal on these handles on Amazon! And I thought they were the perfect final touch to this apothecary-style cabinet.

Final Look

And here is the final look!

Before and After

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before