Round Pinboard With Pin-on Bud Vases

$20

This dead-easy pinboard is made from a cake board and makes provision for fresh flowers.

It’s our turn for spring this side of the world, which means it’s bone dry, dull and dusty apart from small bursts of colour here and there. In an attempt to banish the clutter of lockdown work stations, I am reorganizing my family’s desks.

First up is the teenager’s pin-board. My previous attempt at painting flamingos on a pinboard left the birds a tad short-legged - there was only so much space on the board and flamingos have really,really long legs, okay?! So this time I’m not pretending to be an artist and am allowing nature to provide the art.

Paint the edges of a cake board

I used a thick, round cake board and sprayed only the edges in a grey chalkish paint. I did this so that the silver foil doesn't show. In the past I have used electrical tape to tape all around the edge but spray painting much easier. I used grey paint because my felt was grey and the matching edge helps to hide any cutting imperfections.

Cut felt to size and stick

I traced the board's circumference onto the felt with a marker and cut out the disk with fabric scissors. I then steamed the felt (over a kettle - I know, extremely dangerous but so quick - use a cool iron or clothes steamer instead) to get out any wrinkles. I then used Bostik Clear to stick the fabric to the board. Incidently, I think the back of the board is more springy, so use that side instead of the silver front. And don't use a glue gun because it makes ridges beneath the felt that casts shadows or any other glue that will seep through and show on the front. But any medium strength glue should do.

Grab some wedding bubbles

I'm sure that you recognize the little plastic bottles pictured above. They are generally used at weddings instead of confetti. They are the perfect size for this purpose and light enough to be stuck with pins.

I cleaned them out and stuck the white pins pictured above to them with a glue gun. If you don't have white pins or thum tacks, try painting more garish ones with white or coloured nail varnish, depending on your theme.

And that is as easy as that, apart from attaching something to hang it by. Don't go for long nails or anything that will make even a hump on the felt, it will show. Rather use velcro or stick some hooks.

A close-up showing the vases and Bauhinia flowers.

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• Doreen Kennedy

Clever idea to make vases out of bubble containers

• Thea

Thanks, not even sure why I bought them in the first place. Sometimes crafting is more like hoarding.😅

• Robyn Garner

Cute - test tubes can also do this project!

• Thea

Yes they would but they would be bigger and not so robust. The plastic works better for kids.