Inexpensive Faux Wood Dresser Update to Farmhouse Style

$15

I have been wanting to replace this small dresser for a while, but we just haven't been able to get out and about to find what I wanted so I decided to just see if I could update the look of the dresser. It is functional and nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like the orangish shade of faux wood.

So I started by using sandpaper to go over the dresser and rough it up just a bit to give the surface something that paint could adhere to.

Then I simply used white paint and a paintbrush and got to work.

I wanted the dresser to coordinate with the other furniture in this room which has a dark stained top, so I chose to paint the top of this piece black.

Then I went over the dresser with sandpaper to distress it here and there for a more rustic farmhouse look. Also knowing that if the paint happens to chip at some point it will just look like it is suppose to be there.

I think it turned out even better than I had hoped. It matches so nicely, and looks sooo much better!

I had everything on hand so this project didn't really cost me anything but some time and elbow grease to do.. gotta love those kind of projects.

What a difference a little work and paint can make on a piece of furniture.

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
ClutteredCorkBoard

• Debbie
    Debbie

Thanks. I already tried them. It would cost more than the dresser is worth. Haha

• Willette Buckelew Bagwell
    Willette Buckelew Bagwell

Perhaps you could make it into a shelf or shelves instead of drawers. A complimentary color to match your room could work. I have a chest of drawers that is functional, but missing the drawer slides at the top. My plan is to use one drawer area as a shelf and two as drawers. I think I can make it work. Good luck. I hate to see you give up what could be a beautiful furniture piece. Blessings! 🙂