Painting the Fireplace Bricks

$10

Hey there! Well, we're still doing stuff over here at the Texas Blue Bungalow!

I think I may have mentioned before that all the paint colors were really dark here when we moved in. We don't really care for the dark paints on every surface, so slowly I'm changing it.

GATHER SUPPLIES

You will need:

Painter's Tarp

Paint

Paint Brush

Painter's Tape

I pulled out my trusty painting tarp and some paint I found in the shed and got to work.

CLEAN ALL SURFACES:

First before starting, you will need a clean work surface. I dusted the bricks down and then ran the vacuum hose over the entire area for a clean painting surface.

TAPE OFF THE AREA TO BE PAINTED

It's hard to see, but I first taped off all the edges with some painter's tape so I didn't get white paint on anything I didn't want to.

These little angle brushes are my favorite for painting with. It fits nicely in my hand and I can cut the paint into almost exactly were I need it in, especially tight places. Also, everyone needs a paint key to open your paint cans!

START PAINTING

I started on the inside section and then moved my way out. Obviously its not done, but at this point I knew I was going to love it! It already looks 1000% better!

ALLOW PAINT TO DRY

I always allow my paint to dry for about 15 minute before I peel off the tape. At this point, IF your paint got under the tape somehow, you can clean it up with a damp rag. After clean up, allow the paint to cure for at least 24 hours before touching or decorating the area.

Since my hubs had to work late on a Saturday night, I did this little impromptu job after I got home from work that evening. It took no time at all to complete. Mostly I just had to wait until the paint dried to add a second coat and keep three nosy cats out of the wet paint. Black was a bit harder to cover up, so I kept having to touch up here and there when the paint would finally dry completely.

Isn't it fun how a little paint can change a whole room? Since I already had everything I needed on hand, it was a FREE project for me. Those are the BEST kind!

Do you ever grab a can of paint and just start painting? Did you love the results? Let me know down below.

Thanks for looking! :)

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
DeeDee

• Doris

Do I need a certain paint to paint my brick wall and fireplace? I heard about brick anew but pretty expensive! But don't want it to peel.Any suggestions? Thanks

• DeeDee

Hi Doris! If your fireplace reaches high temps, you'll need to get a special paint for that.

GOOGLE SAYS: Choose indoor, latex, heat-resistant paint (either flat, semigloss, or gloss) that's rated to withstand temperatures generated by the fireplace (generally about 200°F).

• Angela Bruggner

OMG too cool looking!! But I'm in LOVE with your garland!! May I ask where you got it?! Thanks!

• Judy S

Since you were covering black paint, why didn't you prime it first?

• DeeDee

Hi Judy! I just chose not too, mostly being lazy I guess. lol! It only took two coats and normally my paint and primer combo paint takes two coats as well, so it wasn't too bad! :)

• Buckysmomtoo

Looks great and your decorating style is beautiful too! I’m with you, grab something and get painting! Best projects ever on the spur of the moment! Have fun and enjoy your new home!

• DeeDee

Hello there! Thank you so much for your kind comment, I really appreciate it! :)

• Kelli Cook

Looks good, now paint the interior and hearth.