Mud Painting.. It's a Thing!

$15

Did you know there is such a thing as mud painting? Yep, there is. And it's pretty amazing! Here's how to mud paint..

Get a Vase

I chose this vase because I loved the shape, but didn't love the color. I knew I either had to paint it, or donate it, so I decided to mud paint it instead! Wait until you see the after!

Paint the Vase

Using either spray paint or chalk paint, paint your vase. I chose chalk paint and used three coats of paint to get good coverage. I've seen people paint their vases black as well, and that turns out neat too!

Paint or Smear on Some Mud

Next you're going to mix up some dirt and water and create mud. I applied it pretty thick for my project, but if you add more water, you can actually just paint it on with a brush. I wanted more texture, so I just slopped the mud right on it with my hand and smeared it around.

Sponge the Mud Off

Using a pretty wet sponge, wipe off the mud. You want this piece to look like old pottery, so be sure to wipe it all in one horizontal direction.

Let it Dry and Then Decorate It!

Once it's dry, you can you decorate it! I used some fall floral stems and some beads to style mine. What do you think of my finished vase?

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

• Josie

Doesn’t it wash off?

• Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

Well, it's just for decoration, so it's just sitting out. I don't really plan on washing it. You can use spray polyurethane on it and it will seal the whole piece and then it wouldn't wash off.

• Mary Coakley

Do you wash.off all the mud? are you left with just the paint.Thanks

• Vickie

How long in after chalk paint do you wait to put mud on and do you remove all the thick mud to where you’re to the chalk paint or just mildly wipe it off

• Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

Hi Vickie!

Great questions! I waited just until the paint dried before adding the mud. I didn't let the mud dry. I just put it on and then wiped it off pretty quickly. It is up to you on how much mud you want to wipe off. I wanted mine to be more a smooth texture, so I wiped off a good amount of the mud.

• Vickie

Yes I’d love to try

• Linda

Inspiration at its best! All those thrift store jugs, vases, the ideas are endless! 👏👏👏👏👏

• Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

Yesss!! I agree!! I was just at a thrift store the other day and grabbed several more vases to do this with!! So quick and easy!!