Mud Painting.. It's a Thing!

$15

Did you know there is such a thing as mud painting? Yep, there is. And it's pretty amazing! Here's how to mud paint..

Get a Vase

I chose this vase because I loved the shape, but didn't love the color. I knew I either had to paint it, or donate it, so I decided to mud paint it instead! Wait until you see the after!

Paint the Vase

Using either spray paint or chalk paint, paint your vase. I chose chalk paint and used three coats of paint to get good coverage. I've seen people paint their vases black as well, and that turns out neat too!

Paint or Smear on Some Mud

Next you're going to mix up some dirt and water and create mud. I applied it pretty thick for my project, but if you add more water, you can actually just paint it on with a brush. I wanted more texture, so I just slopped the mud right on it with my hand and smeared it around.

Sponge the Mud Off

Using a pretty wet sponge, wipe off the mud. You want this piece to look like old pottery, so be sure to wipe it all in one horizontal direction.

Let it Dry and Then Decorate It!

Once it's dry, you can you decorate it! I used some fall floral stems and some beads to style mine. What do you think of my finished vase?

3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

• Josie
    Josie

Doesn’t it wash off?

• Claire @ Claire Lynn Home
      Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

Well, it's just for decoration, so it's just sitting out. I don't really plan on washing it. You can use spray polyurethane on it and it will seal the whole piece and then it wouldn't wash off.

• Mary Coakley
    Mary Coakley

Do you wash.off all the mud? are you left with just the paint.Thanks

• Vickie
    Vickie

How long in after chalk paint do you wait to put mud on and do you remove all the thick mud to where you’re to the chalk paint or just mildly wipe it off

• Claire @ Claire Lynn Home
      Claire @ Claire Lynn Home

Hi Vickie!

Great questions! I waited just until the paint dried before adding the mud. I didn't let the mud dry. I just put it on and then wiped it off pretty quickly. It is up to you on how much mud you want to wipe off. I wanted mine to be more a smooth texture, so I wiped off a good amount of the mud.

• Patricia
    Patricia

Love this idea!!!

• Kathie Lantz
    Kathie Lantz

i don't have a crafting area and live in the west so i will have to wait until next summer but i love this look (i am a vase addict)