Asked on Sep 16, 2020

Help with Paint Colors?

AnnieAgnes ChrzanowskaJeremy Hoffpauir
+25

We moved into a house that is straight out of the 90s and I am painting it to give it an updated look, but can't decide on color. I was sure after looking online that I wanted Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, but that looked very light on the walls, as we get a lot of sunlight. So, I went down to Mindful Gray, but that was too dark. I think I want to land somewhere in the middle. What do you think? Repose on the left/mindful on the right and a middle color on top and bottom in the pictures.

My next question is what color to do the accent wall that the TV is on and what color to do the walk in door from the garage. Have to get rid of all these 90s greens. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I think because of the darker trim the darker gray will give you some more contrast and be more bold and, personally, I'd lean more in that direction. You COULD have the store mix the two colors for you to get a color in the middle :)

As for an accent I would go several shades darker in the same color palette.

Personally I'm pretty conservative when it comes to doors. All the doors in my home I painted black - so I would go either black or white depending on your preference.

• Janice

Hi Alyssa, I'd chose Mindfinal Gray (although it reads a bit blue) is the one I'd chose from those you're showing. Very white trim on the trim and doors. And have you considered black for the accent wall with TV on it? If you have a flat screen, it will likely blend right into the black wall and look very sophisticated. My daughter has done this in a couple of rooms in her home and the black wall simply disappears.

• Alyssa Perry Cameron

Thanks for your reply. We don't intend to paint the trim at this point, and I worry about the blue in the mindful grey. That's why I was leaning towards a happy medium :) I did think about black for the accent, but wasn't quite sure.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Here are a couple of things to consider on the color choice. Normally you paint two coats and it will be a bit deeper than a single coat. Not sure if you did that on the sample. Second, I swear the sample isn't the same exact color. I think it has something to do with the finish but not sure. I would probably go with the lighter color and then a bold color for an accent wall. My preference would be to paint all walls the same color except one, probably the tv wall. Dark Night in the blue family or Peppercorn if you want to go toward a black.

• Cheryl A

there is always greige which looks gray or green depending on the light

• Redcatcec

Having a hard time imagining any of these colors on the walls, such a contrast to the existing paint. I would keep on going with the paint samples, bring several squares home of each color rather than buy a small pot of paint.

• Mogie

Why paint at all there are lots of other wall finishes.

Use peel and stick wallpaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeIKy87D160

• Recreated Designs

Hi Alyssa, if you are finding one colour too dark but are liking the depth of the colour you can always ask your paint store to cut the colour in half. It will reduce the colour but keep the same tone. Hope that helps.

• Dee

I like Sherwin Williams Agreeable gray, it is in the middle of the two that you choose. Accent wall I would a Darker gray on the card or go to the next card. SW will help you with that they are great

• The one on the far left

• Pamala malone

One on the right with white or white and a touch of black on the trim

Hi Alyssa: I like the lighter colours. They seem to be easier to work with and coordinate the colour of other items in the room.

• Kelli L. Milligan

You should choose colors from fabrics you are using in the room. Paint is the last thing you select in good interior design. Pull together your upholstery, rug, drapery or window treatment, etc. Then select a color that compliments what you are using .

• Ken Erickson

People say all of my taste is in my mouth. Therefore, it is up to you. Remember that it is paint and you can always do it again later. After it is painted, you and others probably won't notice the color as long as it is a neutral range.

• Sharon

I always pick the paint color that will be the brightest, cheery color for the room. Then I select my fabrics, rugs, drapes etc to compliment the room. I frequently assist my clients in selecting those things, and I use Sherwin Williams Color chart, and even upload a picture so client can see the color in the room..... https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-collection put in your gray and you will see all the shades they can mix to find the right one.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Dark colour on walls lighter colour on doors and frames etc. If the room is light the colour will look different on each of the walls. If you want an accent on the TV wall, maybe use Wallpaper!

• Barbara

I think you’ll be disappointed with the results unless you paint the trim as well per Janice’s recommendation.

• Maura White

I love the middle color you chose! Wallpaper is coming back and you could find a great one for an accent wall!

• Lindsay Aratari

You could always do Mindful gray at 50% lighter

• Alyssa Perry Cameron

I think I pulled it off.... With a completely different color. Colonnade Gray. Thank you all for your input!!

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

I like the top one.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would for sure keep it all united colors wise .. You have already so many beautiful architectural pieces that need to be exposed

• Annie

Oh that Gray looks really nice! I bet you're happy with the way this turned out for you