Update Brick Fireplace With Chalk Paint

$15

When we moved into our cute little Texas farmhouse 4 years ago, the main living room was dark. Dark paneling on the walls, a wall of dark bookcases, and a dark brick fireplace. You can click here to see how we updated the paneling and bookcases. That fireplace was still driving me crazy. I wanted to paint it, but the family said no. So one day I set out to just CLEAN it...and that is how I ended up with a chalk painted fireplace!

It was such an easy project. I didn't whitewash it because I was afraid it would look pink. I didn't German Schmear it. I simply painted it. I left plenty of the original brick showing through, and guess what? My family loves it! It was one of the easiest and BEST decisions I made to add a lighter feel to our farmhouse living room!

Fireplace Before

Once the paneled walls were painted, the fireplace stood out like a sore thumb! It didn't matter how I decorated it, it never looked good. It looked dingy and outdated (sorry brick lovers!)

Dirty Fireplace

Years of use had left dark smoke stains on the brick. I tried cleaning it but nothing helped. The grout looked even worse.

What's a girl to do?

I decided to just try painting a small section of the hearth to see if I liked it.

Clean fireplace and test paint

You want to start with a clean fireplace. I vacuumed and use a spray on cleaner to clean it as best as I could.

Then I poured a little of this white chalk paint into a plastic cup and experimented on one side of the hearth.

I realized immediately that this was going to be the perfect solution to our dark and dingy fireplace, and kept going.

Paint grout lines first

I used a small brush to paint the grout lines first and then brushed over the bricks with a regular paintbrush, being careful not to completely cover the brick with the paint.

Keep on painting!

I painted a section and then stepped back to get a full view. Any bricks that needed a little more paint got it, especially the ones directly above the open box where the smoke stains had accumulated.

You can see that I also painted my shiny oak mantel at the same time!

Let dry

You can see that our fireplace is huge! It took me about 3 hours to paint it. Letting it dry and having to be patient before I styled it was the hardest thing to do!

The painted fireplace looks amazing and has lightened the feel of the space tremendously! Best decision ever!

You can visit by blog at diybeautify.com to see how I style my fireplace for all the seasons...it looks fantastic! I also have hundreds more DIYs and home decor tips like this one! I'd be honored to have you stop by

Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
CINDY DIY Beautify

• Was the paint fireproof?

• Sharon Tabor
      11 hours ago

The paint doesn't need to be fireproof. It's on the outside where the fire doesn't touch and doesn't get hot. If the fire gets hot enough to burn the paint, the house would be in flames. Have you seen a burned house with a brick chimney? The fireplace and chimney are still standing.

• Kristen
    Yesterday

No wax I am assuming?

• Van Luyen
    Yesterday

Do you paint the inside fireplace? I see it is very bright, and mine is very dark black due to smokes. Thank you and congratulation with your ' new" fireplace.

• Marcia
      33 minutes ago

Back in the late 70s they used your house brick for your fireplace.