I Gave a Second Hand Console New Life With Paint.

$40

I found a cute console second hand for a song and made it perfect for my space using chalk paint.

I have been looking for a console for my front entry for a while. I was not ready to spend a fortune on a new one. When I saw this one for sale online for $40, I snatched it up.

It was in pretty good shape overall and had some cute details. I wasn't wild about the stain so I decided a little chalk paint was in order.

I had leftover black chalk paint from another project and some antiquing wax that was also left over. You can't beat free!

I made sure the surface was clean and started rolling on the paint. That is the beauty of chalk paint!

I used a foam brush to get into the crevices and on the legs where the roller wouldn't work.

I ended up giving it three light coats. I let the paint dry completely between coats. After the last coat, I let it dry overnight.

Next, I used an old sock to apply the wax.

I gave it two good coats of wax. I let the first coat dry before adding the second. This wax really helps the chalk paint hold up.

I let the wax dry overnight as well just for good measure.

I really love the way it turned out. It is a great space to drop the mail or my keys! It is always so much fun to take an old piece and make it mine!

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous

• Merrily Clifford

I’ve never used chalk paint. Does the wax turn the black paint more charcoal, or does it dry clear? Does it need buffing between coats?? Your table looks great!

• My paint was pure black so the main thing the wax does is seal it and give it a more durable surface. It also looks a.little.more polished this way. Chalk paint is incredibly flat looking paint on it's own. I used the antiquing wax instead of the clear wax on a whim. I think the touch of brown gave it a little.depth as well but that is hard to show with a picture. When I apply the wax, I do continue to rub or buff with my cloth until.I get the consistance I want. You do want to make sure extra is not left behind or you can see the build up of wax. Hope this helps!

• Mcgypsy9

You definitely have a knack for painting and waxing...just beautiful! I’m curious, what color was your antiquing wax? Do you know if this type of wax has to be redone periodically? I absolutely love the color it came out to be! Oh, and I am totally in love with that mirror!

• It is just called antiquing wax. It has a stain in it to make.the piece look aged. I reapply periodically ( annually) on pieces that get a lot.of ware.

• Jasmina Bjelic

Is a console made of wood or plywood? Is it possible to use chalk paint to refurnish table made of plywood? Will the paint hold?

• Flipturn

The table looks way classier now in the darker color.

To upgrade the basic lamp and to integrate it more with the new richer colors of the arrangement, I would suggest that you paint the lamp base a darker color, and cover the shade with a patterned fabric or embellishments; perhaps to match the shape of the trim on the console.