$4 Countertop Hack

$4

When you need to update your dated countertops but you aren’t ready for a major investment. This is the project for you!

While I wish we were ready to do a major renovation to our half bath, life is just a little too crazy right now and it will have to wait. But, I can’t live with this hideous bathroom for one more minute.

Check out the before below.

The first thing you need to do is purchase Appliance Epoxy spray paint from rustoleum. I bought mine at our local hardware store but it is available many places.

Next and probably the most important step is to protect all areas you do not want spray paint or overspray with tape and plastic. The overspray goes all over and is STICKY so prepare well or you’ll regret it.

Next is the actual spraying! First be sure to read all directions and follow them- like make sure coats are done no more than 30 minutes apart. I suggest light coats! Do not forget to wear a mask and have good circulation as it’s very smelly.

The final product is beautiful and way more me. This might only be a temporary fix but for a shortcut to a new bathroom, I’ll say it’s worth a shot.

The before

A hideous 90’s half bath complete with blue sponge painted walls and more gold than King Tut.

Purchase this

This is the product I used.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Prep and Spray

Here you can see how well I prepared the area for overspray and how quick the actual job is!

Finished

Here is the top finished! It is smooth, shiny and beautiful crisp white after only two coats!

More pics

The progress continues! And the countertop is holding up well!

• Rustoluem Appliance Epoxy  (Local Hardware shop)
  • Tape  (Lowe’s)

15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day

• Nancy
    Nancy

It looks great and I think I am going to try it in my daughters bathroom, thank you for sharing! Crazy question, what brand paint did you use for the vanity? it looks like it did a nice job hiding the wood grain . I painted my daughters a few years back and your paint seems to cover better than mine did.

• Instagrahamhome
      Instagrahamhome

I always use Benjamin Moore Advance to paint cabinets. I also have a cabinet painting project page for reference!

• Gretchen
    Gretchen

Lovely job! It looks fantastic.

How did you remove the builder’s grade mirror that I assume was glued to the wall without breaking it?

Thank you!

• Instagrahamhome
      Instagrahamhome

Ugh Gretchen we did break it- it was a horrible disaster and I have no tips sadly. I even watched some videos on it and nothing worked.

• Cathie
    Cathie

Wondering if it would work on a cement vanity top. It’s a light grey and is totally stained by water, soap, oil, etc. Just want to cover it in a super dark color to hide all the marks until we can replace it.