I knew that it would not work this way so I flipped it over. Almost immediately, the wheels in my mind starting turning. 🤔
Football Shaped Wall Hanging/Wreath From Plastic Tray
I have searched extensively at numerous Dollar Trees stores during the pandemic but have not been able to find a football shaped wire wreath form to make one for college football season. I found out why when I did a search online and found that there were sellers who were bilking buyers with some charging $10.00 each for football wreath forms and didn’t EVEN have enough smarts to remove the Dollar Tree tag. Well, determined NOT to be bilked, I gave up on having my wreath. Then the other day, I found this plastic football shaped tray that I purchased from the Dollar Tree several years ago. I knew I had it but couldn’t find it. I found it while looking for something else in a cabinet in my laundry room. 🥴
I knew that I could possibly achieve my vision somehow. Then it came to me. I found a scrap of styrofoam from a package I had received and put it into the grooves. That would make the surface more uniform. I hot glued it into the grooves. Not pretty but it was going to be covered.
I next started using one of my favorite craft items, jute rope. I began by hot gluing the jute around the tray’s edge and gradually worked my way up until the entire football was covered. This is how it looked covered with the jute.
I needed to make the two white stripes and the football lacing. I thought about using some jute scraps. But unless I painted them white, they just blended in with the rest of the jute. So, I decided to make my stripes and lacing with scrap pieces of white felt. I got my pieces cut and started hot gluing them together. Oops, I forgot to photograph the felt pieces before I added something else. Maybe this will be a good surprise.😆
I drilled two holes through the raised areas of the tray. Did this to enable putting cording into the holes for a hanger for this piece. I found a single black shoe lace and threaded it into the drilled holes. I trimmed the extra length of white felt to look neater on the underside. Waited to let the hot glue set and cool.
I had some miscellaneous wooden letters that I had purchased a Family Dollar store and luckily was able to spell out our favorite team’s nickname. I painted them with spray paint I had here at home. The embroidered “G” logo was actually salvaged from long ago worn out Georgia flip flops. I cut the “G” off both flip flops. The embroidered bulldog head was from salvaged from a polo type shirt that was worn out. I try to salvage things I can possibly use for something again. Sooooo, at long last, here is the finished project. This is absolutely a ONE OF A KIND wreath. I love how it turned out. Only thing left to say is GO DAWGS!