Asked on Nov 12, 2020

How to correct a cake error

Simple Nature DecorJohnavallance82Peggy Burnette
+9

I baked an apple spice cake & I don't think I put enough batter on the bottom of the pan & the apples sunk to the bottom & now the cake is soggy on the bottom. Any ideas how I can cook the bottom more? Thanks !

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Madeline, I would flip it over onto another pan, scoop out the bottom, put it on the top as best as you can and bake it another 5-10 minutes.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Unfortunately there is no way to salvage this 'soggy bottom' situation, as the proper ratio of moisture to substance (dry ingredients such as flour, sugar, baking powder) has been upset.

If you try to put the cake into the oven for some more time, the flour batter in the bottom will not rise or bake properly. What will happen is that the edges and outside will dry out, risking burning, while the heat from the oven will continue to make the moisture from the apples evaporate into the already dense and wet batter. The texture will not be right and it will most likely be a dried out half baked glumpy mess.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Were the apple pieces put into the batter just after being cut, or did you pat them dry first?

When did you add the apple pieces to the batter - before the wet ingredients were added to the dry, or after?

Were the apples the correct type of apple, as recommended by the recipe? (Apples that have a softer flesh cook faster and are wetter than other types that have a firmer flesh.)

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Ok, for this cake, you probably can't do anything more, you could try to bake it more, but you may not get the results you hope for. Apples are a fruit with a high water content and are heavy in batter.

Here is a trick you might try next time. Whenever you are baking with fruit, it has a natural tendency to sink, just by weight and texture. Take a small amount of flour and coat the fruit (& nuts) before you put it in the batter, this will help you with the sinking problem you have experienced.

When the pandemic was in full stride and everyone was staying home and baking, I made lots of banana cake loaves, they had lots of fruit (blue berries, cranberries) and nuts in them and that is what I did to prevent the fruit from sinking.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would flip it over into another pan so it dries out and becomes a little less soggy. Then maybe you can scoop it into bowls and serve with ice cream.

• Dee
    Dee

Flip it over and make a streusel topping and bake again for a few minutes

• Try putting it back in the oven at a lower temperature for 10-15 minutes.

• Liz Weiss
    Liz Weiss

I saw on a cooking show that you preheat a baking pan for 10 minutes. Then place your cake on the pan and bake as usual.

Betsy

Hi Madeline: I agree with Ann. Cover it with foil and place in a low oven (about 300 degrees F or 150 degrees C) until it is baked through, until a skewer comes out clean. If all else fails, you can take the cooked part of the cake out of the pan, return the uncooked portion to the oven and finish cooking it. Then, crumble all of the cake into bowls of ice cream and enjoy! P.S. Don't open the oven door while the cake is cooking to 'check on it'. That cools the oven down, even that little bit of time, so just let it be :) In the future, line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper, and you might even want to put a bit of oil or flour on it. And, after taking the cake out of the oven, let it sit in the pan for about 5 minutes, run a butter knife around the edge and then tip out on a cooling rack, bottom side up.

Good luck

Madeline, An answer was put on the wrong question by Deb K. Here is her answer.

Deb K

13 hours ago

Hi Jan, you could try to flip it over and try to bake it to firm it up, but in the future hope this tip in in the link helps you out. https://foodal.com/knowledge/how-to/fix-soggy-muffin-bottoms/

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Hi Madeline, sorry about your cake error, we all do it. Can you take the top off and remove it while you rebake the bottom, it may not look the best, but I bet it tastes great. Good luck.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Madeline,

Sprinkle Sugar on top of apple and place under a grill till golden and firmer. Use that as the top, or make a toffee with butter and brown sugar in a pan and when about to set, pour over the apple. Best wishes. Sounds delicious!

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

You can turn over the cake and bake it bit more. I make apple cake and the key is to make sure you don't add extra apples.