Dark Painted Backsplash

$20

We have been doing little bandaid projects to our kitchen for the last 7 years to get us by, so we can love the kitchen for the time being until we can have it in our budget for what we WANT.

Last year I started removing the tile back splash in our kitchen but it was a horrendous project. We ended up removing the sheetrock and putting in new sheets because of the way the old owner put the tile on.

It was so bad I stopped halfway through and told myself I would do it the following month.

Well that didn't happen and I we had one half of our kitchen backsplash just painted white and the other half still with the ugly tile.

Well I finally took off the other side. Again we basically just ripped out the sheet rock, measured and put in new sheet rock.

Once it was done, I primed the new drywall and sat with it for a few days trying to figure out what to do.

Because it would be temporary until we get new countertops (whenever that is) I decided I could go a little bold to see how I like it.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I ended up painting it the same color we used on my island that I built. It is Benjamin Moore - Deep Space.

I love the way it turned out, how it downplays the the ugly brown countertop and how it pulls in the island with the rest of the room.

It's still not everything we want in a kitchen but it is slowly getting there!

What about you? Would you go this dark with your backsplash?

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Tara Boettger

• Wandawoman
    Wandawoman

wow, nice job on the island!! Since your backsplash is only temporary, I'm quite sure that for your final project you'll choose something compatible with your kitchen colors, maybe some light greys, golds and beige???

• Gina Hanson
    Gina Hanson

In one of our past homes there were natural maple cabinets - beautiful and very light. We bought it when it was only 2 years old and it didn't have a backsplash. A painter friend wanted to try a new product that had to be troweled on but it actually was flat enough to paint over. It was dark purple-deep eggplant color-and highlighted the cabinets well. Wish I had a photo.

Also, if you don't like the countertops an easily affordable fix is using Diach spreadstone (or one of their other products). I bought one kit for $105 and have done a single sink vanity top, a double sink vanity top, and a two level wet bar counter that were all weird dated laminate countertops. One kit did all of that and I still have some product left over! So, just my two cents if you don't care for it.

• Michelle
    Michelle

Just sharing mine not a real good picture but you see I did the same thing. No intention of changing or adding anything I love the color.