Easy Paint Technique to Achieve That Weathered, Farmhouse Look

$30

Don't y'all love the weathered and worn look on some of the vintage items you'll often see used in Farmhouse decor? I certainly do but I don't have access to those type of authentic items where I live. I decided I'd try to fake the look and go easy on my pocket book at the same time, win-win!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Hatching the Plan

Next came the selecting of paint colors, I wanted it to subtly match my color scheme so I selected all shades of green. You certainly could use any and every color you have or go monochromatic in shades of a specific color, it's up to you.

Going Green

Dare I say that I didn't clean my brush when I switched colors? What if I revealed to you that I didn't follow a pattern? What if I told you that this was easy enough for a pre-schooler to paint? Nah, you'd never believe me! But it's true....all of it!

Too much Green?

I dipped, swiped, smooched, spread and even smeared my paint onto the tote, I had so much fun. Remember, I'm aiming for this to look as it has been a workhorse for years and years!

Camouflage pattern

I made sure to even add globs and blobs of paint to give it texture and authenticity. I know it looks a little too much like camouflage here yet but it will get better, I promise!

Topcoating with White

To tone down the greens and get into resembling anything close to Farmhouse style I added a complete top coat of white paint over the toolbox.

Top coat Paint Process

* I have to disclose that I used a paper towel because it was what I had close by at the time but I would recommend using a lint free cloth when removing excess paint from a project.

Surely your eyes are relieved now to see the camouflage greens are muted out, I'll admit I was!

Sanding

The next step was to age it a little more with some wear and tear marks, for this I used sandpaper to scuff along the edges. I would suggest anywhere that it would have gotten a few dings or withstood wear and tear is where I distressed the paint finish including the handle. I'll call this step giving this workhorse some history.

Distressed

So I have added character and history so how about I take it up a notch and add some charm?

Mason Jars Added

Now dont those green bottles sure look purdy in the new toolbox, ahem I mean really, really old toolbox. Now for the pretty I'll pop in my foliage to create the repurposed look so often given to vintage items. Afterall, you didn't really think I was going to put my tools in there did you?

Florals Added

I used green boxwood, white sprigs, pine cones, green and metallic, champagne colored eucalyptus and even twigs gathered from my yard to create a fresh, Winter arrangement.

Final Inspection

So you see I did create a Weathered Farmhouse look afterall, phew the pressure is off now! Success in achieving my goal!

I'm singing in my head a Tim McGraw tune as I stand back and look at this, " I like it, I love it and I want some more of It!" Maybe I have convinced you all of a few things now :

1. CRAFTING can be Fun

2. CRAFTING can be Frugal

3. CRAFTING can be Fabulous

4. CRAFTING can even be Farmhouse

What are you waiting for? Go Craft and Create!

* Costs include purchase of a new toolbox tote and time reflects drying time as well.

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows