Dining Chair Makeover

$45

Ever see those lots of things on Facebook Marketplace and think to yourself, "I can just buy that, keep what I want, and sell the rest...."

No? Just me? Surely not.

Well, we found 33 chairs. Yup. 33. The fan back shape is so cool and I was totally digging the MCM cafe vibe so I kept 2, my sister kept 4, and we sold the rest for almost triple what we bought them for. Insane.

Here they are!

Totally in love with that shape, totally not in love with the purple seats.

In love with this shape. Not so much the color of the vinyl.

So I popped in to Joann Fabric and went straight to the clearance section and lo and behold... I found the exact green I wanted in an easy to clean vinyl. $9 well spent.

Then on to Home Depot for primer and spray paint. I picked up this Rustoleum matte auto spray paint because I needed something super durable with kids and dogs.

Step 1.

Remove your seat cushions. These were attached with 4 bolts on the underside of the seat.

Step 2.

Slide a garbage bag over the parts you want to protect and use painters tape to secure it.

Step 3.

Lightly sand the legs, just to help the paint adhere better.

Step 4.

Prime- I used Rustoleum auto primer.

Step 5.

Do 2 light coats of your auto spray paint. let dry in between.

Step 6.

Seal with polyacrylic or polyurethane spray.

Step 7.

Cut fabric to fit around the seat cushion and use a staple gun to attach it securely.

Don’t worry, you’ll cut off the excess after.

Step 8.

Cut off excess fabric and Reattach your seat cushions.

And that's it! A whole new look in a super budget friendly way. Less than $45 total including the 2 chairs!

I did this project 2 months ago and I can say they’ve held up really well so far!

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time

• Anita Gian
    Anita Gian

Would a fabric with a little stretch been easier to cover the round seats?

• Meg
      Meg

I’m not sure! I love the vinyl as I have young children and this is easy to clean.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

The ubiquitous olive green. Yes!

• Pamela
    Pamela

I am curious as to the beautiful fan-shaped backs. What are they made of? You certainly did a nice job.

• Meg
      Meg

Hi Pamela! I am not totally sure, they are probably mdf or plastic- I dont believe they are real wood.