How to Transform a Vase

$8

You know how I love to make over everyday items to look different. I decided to try something new for me. I love birds, they remind me of my grandfather... I found napkins with birds on them and decided to see how I could make over this plain Jane vase.

I cleaned the vase so it was free of fingerprints and dirt on the outside.

I then removed the back of the napkins so they were only single ply.  

I started applying decoupage to the vase and then pressing the napkin to the vase and applying more decoupage to the napkin on the outside. 

I continued to apply decoupage to the vase and applying more napkins to the vase so it was covered all over.  

The napkin started to gather up on me in some spots... I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out at this point. Sometimes my ideas just do not work out. I figure I need to show the ones that succeed and the ones that fail too. Life isn't perfect...

I had to walk away at this point and let it dry because I did not want to keep messing and tearing the paper...

Here is a close up, what do you think? It is not perfect, but for my first try doing something like this, I do not think it is too bad.  

I gathered up some flowers and gold beaded picks I already had and made a flower arrangement. I enjoy putting them together and I keep playing with them until I get something I like.

Peonies are my favorite and I especially love them with roses and hydrangeas. In my opinion, it is the perfect mix of flowers and textures.  

It was time for something different in the bathroom so here is my newest addition. It was pretty easy, you do need some patience though. I did not have a lot of that with this project for some reason, maybe because it was getting late and I was getting cranky, lol! A gal needs her sleep too! I do not seem to get much of that, so I take what I can get.

I may add some twinkle lights to the inside of the vase, imagine that... 

The vase was a thrifted find and the napkins came from Amazon, $5.99 for a pack of 10. I used 3 napkins on this vase so I still have more to figure out another project with. I do like how it picks up the blush in the tile of our bath. Maybe I will try a tray that the vase can set on? I am not sure, still working it out in my mind... as you can see, I still have yet to remove the tree soap pump. I was hoping I would run out of soap soon before I tuck it away until next year.   

If you would like to see more of our home you can visit www.vintagestylegal.com. If you would like to receive emails, simply subscribe to the blog and confirm your email address, you will receive posts via email to your inbox.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Vintage Style Gal

• Pamela
    Pamela

My problem is finding pretty napkins to use! I see projects on line from floral napkins and lovely ones in blue & white oriental designs, but where do you get them??? Once on vacation I saw a package of napkins in a beautiful floral pattern for #15.00. WEELLL NOOO!!!!

• Edie Zsuzsics
      Edie Zsuzsics

Try Christmas Tree Shoppes. They always have a large variety of printed paper napkins and they are reasonably priced. Usually just a couple dollars.

• Jj
    Jj

How about trying a smooth sided vase and rip the napkins into smaller pieces?

• Vintage Style Gal
      Vintage Style Gal

I have several budget friendly projects on my board here if you would like to see other ideas.  I am all about stretching a dollar...

• Lesley Barnes
    Lesley Barnes

Actually, I haven’t tried decoupage. Your idea has turned out well, appears even better with wrinkles too. You have inspired me to give this a try. I actually Love the idea you have, by adding into the vase, lights. I will definitely go with that too! Thankyou for sharing. It’s Champion. X

• Vintage Style Gal
      Vintage Style Gal

Thank you Lesley, it was a fun project and pretty simple. I have used decoupage a lot in the past. I’m planning another project soon. Good luck with your project and let me know how it turns out! Thanks, Cara

• Lesley Barnes
    Lesley Barnes

Champion Cara, I will. Good Luck with your next project. Guessing Mod Podge is a strong white adhesive liquid that dries clear....yes? (I am in UK).

looking forward to seeing your next project. Way to Go. X

• Vintage Style Gal
      Vintage Style Gal

Lovely! Thank you! I am in the USA. Yes, modge podge does dry clear. It will also make your projects water repellant. I have used it to cover many things with paper! I apply it with a brush, but you can also use a sponge.