Asked on Feb 10, 2021

HELP- I want to buy this dining room table and make over?

Carrie @ Curly Crafty MomAnnieDeb K
+15

I am thinking of buying this table and I want to keep the top light and bottom maybe white or beige...I have never done this before but want to try to do this wonderful project- it says light oak top- can it be sanded? what would I do to make this beautiful table nice? I want to keep it light colored.....any help appreciated.....

• Chelsey
    Chelsey

I think it would look great! Go for it

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Paula! That's a beautiful table. Without closer examination I can't tell how thick the oak top is but a little hand sanding should be fine. I think a white stain on the top and painting out the base white would be lovely!

• Paula Papp-Martini
    Paula Papp-Martini

I want to keep the top the light oak it is.......

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

This could be a great project! Yes you can sand the top. to keep it light just do a couple coats of water based polyurethane.

• Chalk paint is very on trend and fairly easy

• Em
    Em

If the top is in good shape leave it. If it needs work just give it a very light sanding and put on 2 coats of poly according to can directions. You can get it in matte, satin or glossy. Chalk paint is SO easy to do. Pick a color you like and go for it. Clean well and just start painting usually two coats and it is very fast drying. Add some wax, to protect or leave it as is. You can also add touches of antiquing wax to the decorative sides. Just use TINY bit on a rag. You can always add more but hard to get off once on. Try it out on scrap of wood if you have never used it before.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I have a long farm table that I painted the top a darker brown and the legs I used an off white chalk paint on them and it looks great

you could use a clear coat or poly paint for the top of this table and paint the base or legs any color you like...

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

The top looks like it's in good shape, maybe can just clean and add sealant? And paint base?

• Sharon
    Sharon

I've done a table like that for a friend. I used spar varnish on the top, then buffed it down using 0000 steel wool, then used furniture paste wax on top. The bottom I painted with satin paint, but I did mask off part of the pedestal to create a stripe of the original wood color. Good luck.

• Mogie
    Mogie

The light oak is beautiful I wouldn't touch that. The legs and sides would look good with a white wash effect so some of the wood grain still shows thru.

• Paula Papp-Martini
    Paula Papp-Martini

omg what great ideas! they did say there were some nics and scratches and I wanted to do a light sanding- can this be done by hand? I will of course put sealer and urethane on it afterwares....I was thinking of doing the legs and sides of the table in gloss white................

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I have a table with that type of wood grain and I sanded by hand. You have to go with the grain of wood. I did not stain mine, only sealed with 3 coats of polyurethane. Scuffing between coats with fine steel wool and wiping with denatured alcohol to clean.

William

You can sand, prime, and paint the legs and apron. Be careful sanding the top. It's bookmatched oak veneer over a substrate. I would use a fine sand paper like 220 grit, sanding sponge, or a green kitchen scrubby. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and three coats of a water based polyurethane

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hello, tape off the top so you don't get paint on it, then paint the edges and the base, your darker or lighter color, I think it will look great! Use chalk paint, it has great coverage, i just posted a few samples for you to check out

https://www.artsychicksrule.com/coastal-style-chalk-paint-makeover/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clmxq4z1rF4

• Annie
    Annie

As long as it is solid wood, and not a veneer, then sand away...

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

It sounds like you're going for a farmhouse look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbP6BU0RNw&t=227s