Upcycled Copper Pipe Heart Wreath

$15

In 2020 we not only had to replace our refrigerator, but we also had to replace our dishwasher, furnace, and air conditioning unit. We don't throw away anything that may be useful and the water line from our old refrigerator was one thing we saved. I knew I would find a crafty use for the copper water line and I'm thrilled with the upcycled copper pipe heart wreath that I made using it.

I know not everyone has a water line waiting to be used for crafting, but the same copper tubing without the water line fittings is available at hardware stores or on Amazon.

How to Make a Copper Pipe Wreath

Now that you’ve seen the wreath, let’s see how we made it!

Supplies

• Copper Tubing – I used a water line from our old refrigerator.
  • Pipe Cutter
  • Paint Can
  • Scrap Poster Board, Plyboard, or Paper
  • Pencil
  • Torch with Mapp Gas
  • Flux
  • Solder
  • Wire to Make a Hanger
  • E6000 Glue

The first step to make the heart was to cut off the pipe fittings with a pipe cutter. If you use copper piping from Amazon or a hardware store, you won't have to worry about this step.

To form one side of the top of the heart, we wrapped the copper tubing around a paint can.

Note that there is excess pipe where the two top loops will join together. The excess will be removed in a later step.

Next, we bent the pipe where we wanted the bottom of the heart.

To make the heart symmetrical, we traced the half of the heart on a scrap piece of plyboard.

Then we flipped the heart over and formed the second half of the heart by following the pencil line on the plyboard.

The second heart looped was made just like the first one, with the paint can.

The excess copper pipe was then cut off using the pipe cutter.

We then taped the pipe to the board and marked above the tape where we wanted to cut each section of the pipe.

Those sections were cut and now the heart was symmetrical.

To connect the two pieces of pipe, we soldered the pipe pieces together. Check out my blog post for step-by-step directions with pictures for this step.

After the heart was soldered together, I realized I had no idea how I would hang it. My clever husband used an insulation support wire leftover from last winter’s basement project to make a hanger.

This was such a fun project to make and it was a great way to upcycle two items: the copper piping and also the insulation wire. I can't wait for my niece to see this in her bedroom at our lake house. I know she will love it!

3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Paula Skulina

• Bonnie Bowness
    Bonnie Bowness

Love the way you think! Your project is very beautiful. I have so much fun creating items out of anything. There is something you can make out of any scrap that is laying around. Its amazing what you can come up with if you want to. Just let your mind go and enjoy what your doing, you can create some amazing things like your copper heart. It is sooooo pretty! CHEERS!!!!!!

• P
    P

to polish after copper oxides, salt & lemon juice makes copper bright & your hands soft ! Put the leftover pieces of copper into your bird bath & mosquito larvae laid in it won't hatch!