Half Moon Wall Art

$40

Its hard to believe mid-century modern wall art is made from plywood! It was really inexpensive to make, but it covered my blank wall and I think it even looks high end!

This is one of my favorite projects to date and you don't need much for it! I bought one sheet of 4ft x 8ft 1/2" plywood for $35. Now, keep in mind- I made really large half moons and I made 12 of these. You can made them any scale you want and as many as you want! I didn't even end up using all of the plywood, either!

You do need to have some kind of tool to cut the wood into semi-circles. I used a jigsaw. I ended up buying these fine finish blades to make a really clean cut!

The first step in making these is to find something you can trace that is the size you're looking for. I ended up using this marble tabletop that I had around my house. It was 20" in diameter which was perfect for the scale I was looking for. I just traced that onto the plywood!

After I had all my circles traces (I did 6 to get 12 half circles!) I used a circular saw to cut the boards so they are easier to work with before using the jigsaw!

After this, I clamped my wood down and used a jigsaw to cut out the circle! This was my first time using a jigsaw. It took me a little bit to get used to, but I ended up loving it! The trick is slow and steady!

Once my circles were cut out, I had to cut them all in half using a circular saw. I use a ruler first to measure the center and draw a line.

Once all of the circles are cut, you're going to want to sand down all the edges and the surface. I used 120 grit, followed by 220 grit sandpaper for this part!

I decided to paint some of these black and leave others natural wood. I used DecoArt Chalky finish paint in carbon and I loved it! For the poly, I used Varathane water-based polyurethane!

Link to paint: https://www.amazon.com/DecoArt-Americana-Chalky-Finish-Carbon/dp/B00HO036BY

Link to poly: https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-200241H-Water-Based-Poleurethane-1-Quart/dp/B000BZX0Q0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=varathane&qid=1613583828&sr=8-2

(I purchased both of these at Home Depot and they were less expensive than the Amazon links!)

Hopefully you enjoyed this! I have a more detailed tutorial on my IG account @ouraesthetic_abode and the highlight is called "DIY Wood Art"

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?

• Janis Birdwell Douglas
    Janis Birdwell Douglas

Is that plywood or MDF? It looks very smooth

• Elisha
      Elisha

Hi Janis!! Its just 1/2 plywood!! My photos weren’t the best of quality because I had to screenshot them from videos so that may be why it looks smooth.

• Lyndia Stroud
    Lyndia Stroud

How did you hang them? What kind of bracket did you use?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Posting a picture of the actual product you used to hang these circles would be helpful, as not everyone who wants to recreate this project may be familiar with what it is from verbal description only.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

This 'kitty approved' wall art you created reminds me of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) logo.

• Elisha
      Elisha

Oh wow!!! It really does! And you’re right about kitty approved LOL

• Tam
    Tam

YOUR decorating eye is ASTOUNDING....THAT area is so perfectly done it should be in a magazine. The colors and textures are just perfect...not too much, not too little....LOVE IT! BRAVO! (and thanks for sharing!)