Asked on Mar 25, 2021

Keep weeds out of my flowers?

Lindsay AratariLibbie BAnnie
+12

How can I keep the weeds out of my flower beds? I have tried everything and I have to keep pulling weeds out of my flower beds. Any suggestions?

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

here is some info for you Tina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiqFU3Gr2ro

• Janice
    Janice

Hi Tina, weeding seems to be a part of any gardening.

Here's some info you might consider.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/six-tips-for-effective-weed-control

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree weeding is just one of those things that is a tough one. Planting your own tough perennials can help as they'll fight the weeds. I use mulch in places where I can and that helps a lot.

William

Cover your beds with newspaper and landscape fabric. Two to three inches of mulch on top. The newspaper will break down over time.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

When you pull weeds pull from the bottom of the stem to get the roots or it will come back you could also spray the weeds with a mixture of ( 1 qt white vinager,1/4 cup salt and 3 squirts of dish soap ) mix well and put in a spray bottle and spray on weeds

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I find scooping it out with a small shovel is the most effective. I love landscape fabric because if weeds do grow, they are very superficial and easy to pull. Good luck!

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Unfortunately, nothing is weed proof because the wind will blow seeds into your flower beds. Putting down newspaper will help to reduce them but pulling them is the only safe thing you can do.

• Maura White
    Maura White

I use a black ground cover fabric (https://amzn.to/2PqpcTK) over my entire garden. Then I'll cut small holes where I want my flowers to grow and add a bunch of mulch over the top of the ground cover. I'd also spend the extra money and get a high quality ground cover rated for the longest time you can find because you won't want to repeat this process annually or even every 5 years! If you have perennials in your garden - they will grow over time as well creating more shade so less weeds pop up (that is the case for both my peony garden and hydrangea garden.)

• Mogie
    Mogie

When we took the carpet out and installed vinyl I used the old carpet as a weed barrier. Worked better then the actual weed barrier products. That was about 15 years ago. You will always get some surface weeds but MUCH less.

Betsy

Hi Tina: You can make a home made weed killer. The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes.

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• Put down a thick layer of mulch

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

I put down stepping stones where feasible. Have noticed that weeds don't usually establish themselves under ferns which I have a lot of.

• Annie
    Annie

Top dress with good quality compost. Weeds prefer bad soil., But unfortunately you will always have to pull some weeds

• Libbie B
    Libbie B

We used mulch that has Preen mixed into it and it really cut down on weeds last year.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

Mulch helps