DIY 'Bee Happy' Wreath

$40

Create a ‘Bee Happy’ Wreath to celebrate gardening season and in honor of Earth Day.

Calling all bee lovers and garden enthusiasts, I have an easy and fun craft project and DIY wreath for spring or summer! As the bees are beginning to buzz about in the garden again, this wreath also serves as a reminder of the importance of pollinators in honor of Earth Day.

This wreath was super fun to make and comes together quickly! Here are the easy steps if you’d like to make one to celebrate the bees!

I started with a forsythia wreath I already had -> ( scroll to see my DIY Spring Wreath with Blooming Wellies from last year in posted projects).

To ‘beef up’ the forsythia wreath I used a grapevine wreath as a base that I had. I used some grapevine wire to attach the two wreaths. If your wreath is substantial enough, you can skip this step. Alternatively use floral wire, chenille stems or cable ties to attach two wreaths.

After the two wreaths were secured, the fun begins!

I used an assortment of ribbon for the wreath. . .black and white checks in various widths, wire edged bee ribbon and yellow polka dot ribbon. I found 6-inch honey dippers to tie on to the wreath, along with some bees!

I placed the honey dippers on wreath, spacing them and leaving room to tie on a bow. Once I determined the spacing, I tied the honey dippers onto the sprigs forsythia using black and white check ribbon, threading the bees onto the ribbon. Note: You could use a hot glue gun to attach any of your embellishments if you prefer. I decided to tie them on so I could reuse the embellishments and have the option to change up the wreath at a later date.

To make the bow, I used an easy bow-making technique to make a multi-ribbon bow, no bow-tying skills required! You’ll want to use wire-edged ribbon for best results. This is a great way to make a multi-ribbon bow if you have odds and ends of ribbon with just a little left on the spool, as you only need about a yard of ribbon per loop.

I started by cutting the ribbon into 32 inch – 36 inch lengths, but you can vary your lengths as desired. I ended up using 10 loops / lengths of ribbon, so I used approximately 10 yards of ribbon in total. You can use less yardage by making your bow with fewer loops and shorter tails of ribbon if you prefer.

Form your loops to the size you want, pinching the ribbon loop in the middle. (My loops are about 5 – 6 inches using 10 – 12 inches of ribbon for the loop part.) If your ribbon has a pattern on just one side, twist the back tail of the ribbon around so your pattern faces to the front. Repeat the process with your ribbon holding your loops together and tie your loop off with a pipe cleaner / chenille stem or florist wire. I prefer pipe cleaners as they’re very forgiving, allowing you to adjust your loops, pulling the tail of your ribbon to adjust your bow as needed. When you are finished, cut the tails of your ribbon on an angle or in a notched-v shape.

A honey dipper with bee was tied on to the center of the completed bow on the wreath.

You can hang the wreath as is but I decided to add this decorative ‘Bee Happy’ Pitcher to hang in the center. The handle of the pitcher hangs on the hook of the wreath hanger and then wreath was added to hang over the hook.

I hung my ‘Bee Happy’ Wreath on the door of my Potting Shed and where I can see the bees buzzing around the flowers this spring

Visit HERE to find:

• Sources and links to wreath supplies, bees, honey dippers, ‘bee happy’ pitcher, ribbon, etc.
  • What you can do to help pollinators and keep them happy.
  • Find 12 other creative craft projects.

• Forsythia wreath  (had, TJ Maxx)
  • Grapevine wreath  (had)
  • Honey dippers  (Amazon)

23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Ann
    Ann

ADORABLE! And I'm afraid of bees

• Julii
    Julii

this is so cute! I did a quick mental addition on the components. VERY expensive!