Red, White, and Blue Thrift Store Shirt Upcycle

3 materials
$5

I gave an old men's button up shirt an upcycle into a cute summer holiday pillow.

I wanted a fun patriotic pillow for the transition to summer but didn't want to spend a lot of money so I used a button down men's dress shirt from the thrift store I found for $2.00, some Stitch Witchery, and a small flag from the Targer Dollar Spot.

I started by deciding what size I wanted the pillow to be. I used an insert I already had on hand and cut the shirt to size.

I turned the shirt inside out and used the Stitch Witchery to iron in the seems on the top and bottom.

I made sure to thoroughly press the seems and let them cool completely so they were strong.

Once cool, I turned the shirt right side out to apply the flag.

I cut the wooden dowel off the flag and trimmed it for a clean edge.

I added more of the Stitch Witchery to the ba k side of the flag.

I centered it in the front and ironed it on. Again I heated it thoroughly and let it cool completely.

I use the buttons for the opening and added my insert.

Now I have a cute patriotic pillow that adds a hint of summer to the living room!

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 12 comments
Next