DIY Engraved Wood Riser

4 materials
$6

Artful and functional, wood risers are the most versatile item to complete a vignette. These low-rise pedestals can be used as cake stands, centerpieces, and trivets on the dining table or to display candles and planters on a console. This DIY wood riser is engraved using a Dremel tool. I hope you give engraving a try if you’ve never done it before. It’s such a relaxing activity – engraving is the new meditation!

Find the detailed step-by-step here!

To start off, trace a circle on the wood. I drew mine around 6″ (15cm) but any size will work. Cut the circle and smooth the edges with a sanding block.

You can also recycle an old round cutting board.

Use the flex arm attachment of your Dremel rotary tool to engrave the wooden disk.

My engraving is a series of geometrical shapes: lines, triangles, diamonds, and arrows. Bear in mind that straight lines are much easier to engrave than intricate and curvy shapes. There’s no special trick to this, figuring shapes as you go works as well as drawing them out first. Just unleash your creativity and enjoy. It’s very absorbing!

Next, glue large wooden beads at the back of the board and apply a thick coat of wood stain, making sure you fill the ridges in the engraving.

That’s all! If you want to protect your DIY wood riser, apply a protective coat once the wood stain has fully dried. To use this riser as a cake stand, make sure to use a food-safe finish!

Find me on Pinterest for more easy DIY ideas! 

VeryLiv

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 11 comments
Next