Painting Liecht cabinets

+12

I inherited in my new home a lot of Liecht Cabinets In my kitchen and laundry room. I cannot stand the shiny surface. I understand they are very costly so don’t want to replace. I would rather paint them to get rid of the ugly color and shiny veneer. Never heard of those cabinets before.

• Sharon Sharon on May 30, 2021

These top of the line German cabinets will lose most of their value if you paint them IMHO, so if I were you I would hire a pro to remove them and resell them ..... then you can get what you like.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on May 30, 2021

You can have new doors made for your existing cabinet boxes. They can make them the exact style and finish you like. It’s not cheap, but it’s cheaper than replacing the whole cabinet.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 30, 2021

I would call the mfg of the cabinets and ask them how to paint them so that you don't mess up these expensive cabinets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0AzCy1k11o

• William William on May 30, 2021

High end German cabinets made with cabinet grade plywood and not particle board, cheaper plywood, or MDF. They have a thicker laminate/melamine surface. If you do want to paint them you would need to scuff the surface gloss. A red Scotch Bright pad would work. Prime with a good bonding primer, then paint your color. Some ways other Hometalkers have painted laminate....

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=paint%20laminate

• Maura White Maura White on May 30, 2021

Check out how I painted my cabinets and didn't need to sand. But you may need to roughen up yours a little since it does have a shiny veneer. https://happydealhappyday.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-without-sanding/

• Libbie B Libbie B on May 30, 2021

What about just replacing the cabinet doors?

• Em Em on May 30, 2021

Clean with TSP then use a good primer and paint of your choice. Check at the paint counter of Home Depot or paint store to see if they recommend a special type of latex, but any should be sufficient with a good primer.

• Dee Dee on May 30, 2021

These are very high end cabinets. I personally do not like high gloss either, but I would not paint these cabinets. I would decorate around them. Use the colors you love, also what color is your countertops? You can choose some colors from them.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 30, 2021

Hi! I think you could get a decent price for them. I would look into that before changing the finish. Good luck!

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on May 31, 2021

Could you possibly sell them to get new ones you prefer

• Painting them will take away any value they have if your intent is to keep the value. Either sell them and replace with something you'd like or you could try removing the doors, saving them, and replacing them with something you do like.

• I personally would sell them. Since you can definitely get a decent price in return, before making any changes to them.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 23, 2021

You could contact paper them and they have solid colors now and easy peel off to try Home Depot or online..