Natural weed killer?

+19

I have some weed growing between tiles how do I get rid of them? Thank you.

• You can use a vinegar, salt and even liquid dish soap to quickly kill weeds. Moreover, acetic acid in the vinegar and the salt are both effective in drawing moisture from weeds.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 01, 2021

Hi Kathleen, we use 8 cups of vinegar mixed with a teaspoon of either dishwashing liquid or vegetable oil. You can also pour boiling salt water over the weeds.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 01, 2021

Although topical liquids, such a vinegar, will kill the portion of the weed growing above ground, unless you kill or dig the roots out completely, the weeds most likely are going to continue to grow.

Pulling weeds out is a ongoing task of yard maintenance.

• Here's what I use: Take a spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt and fill it up with vinegar. Add a few drops of dish soap and shake. Spray on the weeds.

https://www.hometalk.com/43299149/all-natural-weed-killer

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on Jun 01, 2021

Pour boiling water over them or spray them with vinegar, or with vinegar with dish soap, and possibly, some salt added to it.

P.S.- you should pull the weeds that you can. You may want to add more sand between the pavers.

If you do add new sand between your pavers, use polymeric sand. This is how you do it: https://youtu.be/NVNjXMnOdlA

• Janice Janice on Jun 01, 2021

Hello Kathleen, I rely on using a mixture of 1 gallon white vinegar, 1/2-1 cup of table salt, and a big squirt of Dawn dishwashing soap. Mix well and place in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Spray on the weeds when no rain is in the forecast. DO NOT spray onto plants you want to thrive. Within 2-3 days, you'll be able to rake away the weeds.

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 01, 2021

Vinegar kills weeds quickly—usually within 24 hours—but does not discriminate between the weeds you want to kill and the plants you want to grow.

Vinegar’s efficacy depends on the weather and the solution’s concentration. If weeds are extensive, or if you are worried about your garden’s integrity, a professional can tackle the issue.

• So long as there's nothing else around you want to keep, sprinkle some salt and spray some water.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 01, 2021

Hi Kathleen: Here are some ideas and here's a vinegar/soap/Epsom salts formula:

Borax, it's very helpful for killing unwanted weeds. All you have to do is add 10 ounces to 2 ½ gallons of water, mix thoroughly, and spray onto the weeds thoroughly. Watching them wither away smugly, optional.

Cornmeal

The proteins in cornmeal – or specially-processed corn gluten meal – stop any seed from germinating and growing. You can also sprinkle cornmeal on grown weeds, it’ll kill them just as well as it’ll stop them from growing.

Vinegar

One quick way to get rid of weeds? Pouring or spraying a little white vinegar on the offending weeds. This acidic masterpiece is perfect for shriveling weeds, just be careful of your flowers. A little excess spray won’t hurt them, but accidentally pouring the same amount of vinegar on your flowers as your weeds could kill them. This did NOT work for me:(

Or, what I have used with great success:

Homemade Weed Killer:

The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes.

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 02, 2021

Hi Kathleen,

Vinegar or Salt or both would help, so would hot water.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 02, 2021

2 cups white vinegar

¼ cup salt

Squirt of dawn

Mix in a spray bottle. If you have a larger area, you can mix in a garden sprayer with larger quantities. Use when it will not be raining for a few hours so that it isn’t washed away.

• Em Em on Jun 02, 2021

I see people with the same "recipe" for dawn, vinegar and salt. I have had no luck with this not matter how many times I spray it on the weeds. The agricultural vinegar at 30% may do the trick but regular kitchen vinegar has never worked.

• Erin Erin on Jun 02, 2021

Try spraying the bottom of the plant & not the top. Personally, I just pour vinegar at the base and leave it for a couple days.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jun 03, 2021

Here is how to make a natural weed killer: https://www.thegardenglove.com/how-to-make-safe-homemade-weed-killer/

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jun 05, 2021

I wrote a post about this, and I would recommend the boiling water method... inexpensive and does the trick https://chascrazycreations.com/save-your-garden-sprays-2/

• Here are 3 natural weed killers tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WeNyx0nSU&t=139s

• Wendy Kaplan Wendy Kaplan on Jun 05, 2021

Cleaning vinegar and salt