Steamer Trunk Up-cycle

27K Views
We had this old steamer trunk that for several years simply stored Christmas decorations. I have always been in love with this trunk and wanted to do something special with it but was never sure what, so I let it go on living as a storage trunk.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $15.00Difficulty: Medium
  • steamer trunk up cycle, Here is the before
I had an old salvaged door that we got for free because we hauled off an old building that someone had torn down. It had about 4 layers of paint on it but it was solid and I knew that it had to live again. I also have a stash of old windows that my Grandfather had forever ago and when he died I inherited them. So using these three simple items we created a set that looks like it has always lived together.
  • steamer trunk up cycle, Here is the after
We cut the door down to fit along the back of the trunk for the bench back. Then we took some old salvaged wood that we got from a dumpster at a local grocery store that was doing renovations and made the seat. I was lucky enough to have a dark stain that matched the trunk's existing color perfectly! The arm "rails" are two windows that we cut in half. These are very old windows and believe it or not they still had the glass in them. I painstakingly took out the glass which I am sure we will use for another project. I didn't really didn't do anything to the existing trunk bottom. I just cleaned it up and re-stained the part where the fabric had been taken off (on the front).
  • steamer trunk up cycle
For the table, we took the remaining portions of the door and windows and framed them in. Then we attached the top of the trunk with bolts. Again not doing anything to the existing trunk top.
  • steamer trunk up cycle
I could not get all the paint off the door and frankly didn't want to. I scrapped off any loose pieces and then did something I didn't know you could do...stained over paint! A couple of my DIY buddies told me it would be fine but I was skeptical. I am so glad that I listened to them!
  • steamer trunk up cycle
  • steamer trunk up cycle
  • steamer trunk up cycle
The cost of this project for us was minimal since we already had the trunk and windows, got the door and wood for the seat for free because we salvaged it and already had a stash of stain. The only cost was the screws and bolts to put it all together.

Suggested materials for this project:

Crystal Creation

Ask a Question