Pool Surround "Coal Mine"

Uncle Bill did all the prep-work. Got the base poured and then I swooped in and did the vertical carving treatment. Hoping to get some actual "up and running" pictures in the spring. This cave was an opportunity to go a little wild and really have some fun, but they weren't interested. So we kept it plain and simple. It still turned out pretty cool and quite unique.
pool surround coal mine, diy, outdoor living, pool designs
This is the base. We did a waterfall a few years ago and we chunked out the concrete while it was setting to give us some dimension to start with. That's what you're seeing here.
Here's a view into the "cave." This is the base.
Now I've got some carving done. I decided to frame out the entrance of the cave and add supports throughout. Similar to what you'd find in a real coal mine situation. Would have loved to put a steering wheel in here and some other "fun" stuff for the kiddos but that idea got vetoed. One of the things I love about this stuff. You can pretty much get as creative as you'd like.
Here's a little bit of carving on the inside.
This is from inside the cave looking out. You can see one of my interior "supports" towards the entrance I have carved. The other side of the "wood support" is still the base.
Here's the other side again. I'm inside the cave looking out.
I am at the entrance looking towards the back. There's another entrance/exit on this side but its really small.
Main entrance looking towards back entrance/exit. It's a much smaller doorway. Most of the carving is now done.
Here we are with some color. They wanted it to contrast with the lighter concrete and the wall surrounding the back side of the pool.
The inside of the cave with some color.
The Chirping Frog