Pottery Barn Knock-off Napkins & Fall Table Setting

$8

I was looking for napkins in a neutral color palette, to go with our neutral fall decor. I fell in love with these Linen napkins from Pottery Barn while I was shopping around, but wasn’t in love with the price tag so I decided to make my own PB knock off linen look alike napkins for a much more affordable cost.
pottery barn knock off napkins fall table setting, home decor, seasonal holiday decor
The fabric I used is 100% cotton, but has a similar look to linen and was much more affordable at only $4 a meter from Hobby Lobby on sale. I washed the fabric first and then gave it a quick iron so it was easier to work with. Then I began cutting the fabric into strips 14″ wide and then cut each strip into squares 14″ long. So each napkin was 14″ x 14″, allowing for two 1/2″ seams. This will make the napkins 12″ x 12″. Once each napkin was cut to size, with the iron hot I used my small ruler to measure 1/2″ from the edge, flipping it over and ironing it to hold it in place. Then flip the edge over again 1/2″ and iron in place, this will hide the raw edge. Once ironed, I pinned down the edge and repeated this for each edge on each napkin. It’s a bit of a tedious method, but I found doing it while watching television helped me to be patient and not rush through all the folding and ironing.
After all the edges have been folded, ironed and pinned, you will need to remove some fabric from the corner of the napkin to reduce bulk which will help your sewing machine to be able to sew the corners. To do this I simply unfolded the corner a bit and cut about 1/2″ from the tip, then refolded the fabric, pinning the corners in place.
With your sewing machine setup using white thread, begin sewing each edge of your napkins. For the corners I went straight to the very end of the napkin and then repeated this along each side of the napkin, as shown in the picture below.
I think these napkins turned out so beautifully and at a much more reasonable cost for me! I can’t wait to share them with our family this coming Thanksgiving Monday!

Jillian @ JST Design