Wendi @ H2OBungalow
Wendi @ H2OBungalow
  • Saint Petersburg, FL

How To Paint A Front Door Tutorial For Beginners

I madeover a sweet friends front entryway for a housewarming gift. The house was darling, but the entryway, was bland and brown..lots and lots of brown! She didn't know where to begin to paint a front door, what paint to use or even if her front door was already painted in latex.
how to paint a front door for beginners, doors, how to, paint colors, painting
This is what it looked like when I arrived.
First we checked to be sure she had latex paint on the doors. Rub a cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol on the door. If paint comes off, it's latex. If not, you'll need to prime the door with a primer. Next, We cleaned and prepped the doors.
I used Modern Masters Front Door Paint and loved it for this project. Start by paint the inside panels.
Next, with a velour roller paint the flat sections. Work quickly and rechcek often for drips.
You'll get professional looking results with no brush strokes.
Let the door dry for several hours without touching another surface. We left these doors cracked while I had fun decorating and adding color.
Looks great!
You'll fine more details on how to paint a front door and even more useful painting tips in my post!
Wendi @ H2OBungalow

• Sally

Thank you for these tips! I just bought this modern Masters front door paint, so I'm anxious to try it out...it's not inexpensive paint so I'm hoping for some positive results....as long as I follow your directions!
  • Terry Cespedes