The Chirping Frog
The Chirping Frog
  • Glen Carbon, IL

Christmas Tree Fringe Pillow

While making memory pillows from my grandfather's clothes for gifts this year it struck me that the fringe technique I'd been using would make a great Christmas Tree. I have a couple "hard to buy for" people on my list and these pillows are my solution.
christmas tree fringe pillow, christmas decorations, crafts, how to, seasonal holiday decor, reupholster
First I drew a template for my tree and cut out fabric. I chose a dark green felt and an adorable swirly green flannel. I cut them out using my template, stacked them and cut them into 1" strips as seen below.
My pillow form is 14" square so I need a backer fabric that is 15" (14" + 1/2" seam allowances). I am using plain white sheeting fabric but you could get as creative with that fabric as you'd like.
Center your tree strips on the backer fabric, slightly overlapping them and pin in place. Attach your strips to the base fabric. I stitched all dark green strips and then switched out my thread to do the swirly fabric.
Once you get your strips sewn and cut all your loose threads this is what you'll have.
I used a running stitch to tack on a small piece of brown felt for the tree trunk and a yellow star for the top of the tree.
I used the swirly fabric for the back, cut a 15" square and lay it face up on the table. Place your top piece, face down on top and pin them together, making sure to leave an opening at the bottom for your pillow form. Sew them together, leaving the opening, with a 1/2" seam allowance. Turn right side out.
Fringe. Much easier if you have a sharp pair of scissors. Just cut from the free end of each strip towards the sewn end being careful not to knick your stitch line.
Add your pillow form and pin opening closed.
Slip stitch the opening closed. I found a great tutorial for this if you need it here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hand-Sewing-Basic-Slip-Stitch-Blind-Stitch/
You're done. Easy Christmas pillow that makes a great decoration as well as a gift for those who might be a little more difficult to buy for.
For more decorating fun you can find me at http://thechirpingfrog.blogspot.com/ or on Facebook.
The Chirping Frog

• Carol Fiorella

Very cute

• Grammie

I love this! My husband passed away a year ago and I'm making our great grandson a stuffed animal from one of Papa's shirts, and memory quilts for my grandbabies. I'm new to Hometalk and I can't wait to go to your blog!!