Storywood Designs
Storywood Designs
  • Raleigh, NC

Painted old hardwood floors in a whitewashed checkerboard

Refinishing wasn't an option, so I painted our old and scratched hardwood floors in our foyer in a grayish-blue and white whitewash checkerboard pattern. Will they stand up to my 2 goldens and 2 little boys? Only time will tell, but so far, so good!
Painted floors - after.  Used a combo of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Louis Blue and Paris Grey and Pure White for the checks and finished with Annie Sloan Floor Lacquer
Painted floors - after. Used a combo of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Louis Blue and Paris Grey and Pure White for the checks and finished with Annie Sloan Floor Lacquer
A closeup of the checkerboard pattern - after.
What did they look like before?  Scratched, chipped and an ugly red stain that had been DIY'd the wrong way!!
What did they look like before? Scratched, chipped and an ugly red stain that had been DIY'd the wrong way!!
Storywood Designs

• Nancy Verde Barr

How was the floor in the foyer was painted. Were the blue and grey paints mixed together? The picture doesn't show if the two colors were alternated in the design. Was the floor "whitewashed" after the design was finished? I have just discovered chalk paint and think this floor is stunning.

• Enjayare

What did you do to keep the wood grain showing? How did you keep 'transparency' (for lack of a better term)? Did you use a brush or a roller? Did you sand before hand ? Sorry i want to do this and my husband has many questions
  • DorothyJones

What paint did you use?

• Patty Marie

I would love to see the details of this beautiful project!  But it seems the link to your blog post, the blue "GO" button above, goes to an old website. Could you please update the link. I'd love to get the "how-to" story.

THANK YOU!

• Debi53

Wow! This is so pretty. What a change. You have to be so thrilled with the result.

• Kristin Topping

What a great renovation! I think a lot of ideas and thoughts have gone into this wonderful project that not only adds beauty but also give a classic and personalized touch to your home decor.Hardwood Flooring stands for the durability, affordability and adds to the sophisticated curb appeal of your homes that enhance the natural and add an envious glamour to it! All your hard work is beautiful and impressive! Love the flooring services. Its look awesome. A certified Flooring Services can bring unrivaled value to your future projects. Thanks for nice view.