3 Distressing Techniques (to Show a Second Layer of Paint)

I've read a lot about different distressing techniques using a resist between two layers of paint. It allows the bottom layer of paint to show through the top coat. I decided to test out the differences between some of the techniques I've read about.
3 distressing techniques to show a second layer of paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
I started by painting each of the antique moldings with a base of homemade chalk paint. Then, onto the resisting agents:
This is just a wax block I used for candle-making with my 5th graders. I've even used a white crayon in the past and that seems to work in the same way.
Another type of resist - vaseline.
A third type of resist - Miss Mustard Seed hemp oil. (You may wonder if you can use another type of oil - vegetable, olive, etc. I've read that those will go bad/spoil over time, but hemp oil doesn't!)
Here's how each molding looked after a second coat of paint was applied over the resist, and then sanded down with 100 grit sandpaper.
Wax block
Vaseline
Hemp oil
Jenny @ Refresh Living