Creating Faux Stained Glass With Acrylic Paint and Glue!

$5

Create beautiful faux stained glass the simple way! I love this method of mixing paint and glue to create something unique. This easy stained glass project is even more fun with a good pattern.
Faux Stained Glass Majestic Peacock
Faux Stained Glass Majestic Peacock
One of my specialties is creating unique patterns like the Majestic Peacock Pattern used in this tutorial. Be sure to click on the link at the bottom of this post for list of supplies and free pattern!
creating faux stained glass with acrylic paint and glue, crafts, painting
Start with a thrift store framed picture. Remove the picture and frame. You will be working with the glass. Draw out your pattern in the same size as your sheet of glass.
Spray the glass with clear acrylic spray. This is important as it gives the paint and glue something to adhere to. Place the glass over top of your pattern.
Take the bottle of white glue and dump just a small bit out so that there is room to add color to it. Add about a teaspoon of black acrylic paint and stir it with a wooden dowel. Add enough black paint to make a solid color. You will be surprised, but it doesn’t take a ton of paint to change your white glue to black. Then put the glue nozzle back on. The glue is now ready for the next step.
Carefully squeeze the glue onto the glass, following the lines of your pattern. Try not to have shaky hand syndrome like I do, but even if you do, it can be fixed.
Once all of the lines have been drawn in, allow it to sit overnight to dry completely. Once it is dry, you can go over it with a craft blade and correct any shaky lines or errors.
For the next step, use a small muffin tin to mix up your colors. Use about a tablespoon of clear glue to one or two drops of acrylic paint. You will be surprised at how easy it is to add pigment to clear glue.
Use a blunt paintbrush and add your colors where you want them. Put it on thickly and be sure to get your colored glue all the way up to the edges of the black lines. Take your time and if you see any air bubbles in the glue, use a toothpick to pop them.
For a variegated marbled look, add a color to each side of a section and push them together with your brush, mixing them in the middle. Allow the entire project to dry overnight.
The final step is to do some touch-up with the sharpie pen on the leading where paint may be overlapped. Finish it with a coat of clear acrylic spray sealant in order to protect it. Beautiful sitting in your windowsill or hanging on the wall! See the link at the bottom of this post for the full project details and free pattern.
Susan Myers

• Elizabeth Evans

Can you do this on wine glasses and then bake them?

• Susan Myers

No. If you are wanting to do wine glasses, you will need to use paint made especially for that purpose.

• Jan

How long will this last

• Nancy Testerman

Your instructions call for super glue but I don't see in the instructions where the super glue is used. For what is it used?

• Susan Myers

Hi Nancy- I used it to glue the frame back on. I will remove that reference because it only confuses. Thanks!

• Gwen Turner

in similar projects where i'm putting something back in a frame, i've used a clear chalking and it works well.

• Kathy Anzalone

Hi Susan, I love your peacock picture! How can I download it? I have never tried to do it before. I have a new tablet & my old printer is slow, so if you could just tell me how step by step I would love to make the peacock picture too. Thanks so much Susan! Kathy

• Susan Myers

Hi Kathy- email me at suzy@suzyssitcom.com and I will forward it to you. Suzy

• Electa vonhoff

why do you mix the paint with glue?

• Deb Shaffer

Can you use this on a bathroom or kitchen window? Can you seal it so it can be wiped free of dust etc.?

• Susan Myers

I recommend a spray clear sealant in my blog post. Unfortunately, you cannot do this on a perpendicular window. If you are not working on a flat spot, I'd suggest putting out the money for glass paint meant for windows.

• 13526476

I have used glass paint and still had issues with it running. I always just placed a large framed glass or plexi inside the window. Also, once your picture hangs in the window, there will be some fading and drying of the art piece.

• Cfr2230743

Why use white glue for the outlines? Why not clear for all the colors?

• Donna

Can you tell me what brand of "clear glue" you used?

• Dmslater01

Once it's sealed, can it be washed with a cloth and mild detergent solution?

• Barb in Texas

Probably not, but it shouldn't ever need to be washed, just dusted. White glue is water soluble.

• Joanne

You might be able to put the clear sealer on the top so it could be rinsed off.

• Susan Myers

I recommend a coating a clear sealer once it is completed. You can easily wipe it down to dust it.

• 13526476

Please don't rinse your work...just routine dusting.

• PainterNoni

how to you hang this?

• Laura Amos Binder

I plan to paint/decorate my old frame that the glass came out of, glue the inside of the frame (the kind that dries clear) and put the glass in without the cardboard backing.

• Susan Myers

Laura's answer above is what I did.

• LABrown

I'd guess you could pop it back in the frame with which the glass came--add a couple of eye hooks and hang it in a window to let the light through.

• 13526476

I used eye hooks on either side of the frame and used fishing line to hang the finished pictures. Be sure to use heavy test as the line may stretch or get brittle after some time.

• Jeanne Bodiford Whitaker

The clear acrylic spray, is that a sealer or a type of glue??? Your "stained glass" is just gorgeous!! Nicely done

• 0642325312

Beautiful! What kind of clear glue was used? Thanks!

• Mary Weaver-Davis

And the white glue? I really love this project and will be trying it soon. The pattern can be used from coloring book or print from online too. Beautiful!

• Susan Myers

The white glue is Elmers School glue.

• DP

I tried elmers and the glue was too watery, it spread out all over and wouldn't stay on the lines, I had to wash it off and just use permanent markers.

• Londa

Elmers glue; I wonder if youcan add gesso to the Elmers to make it thicker when adding the paint color? Actually, maybe us gesso instead of Elmers??? Hmmm... I'm going to experiment!

• Donna McDevitt Jones

I'm having the exact same problem. Going to look for gesso today.
  • Gwen Turner

how would you hang this? do you put it back into the frame? are there some sort of hooks that attach to glass?

• Suzikc01

I have 2 windows one on each side of my fireplace. I have been looking for something to paint them with. They are 9"wide and 5' high. Do you think I can paint on these windows? Is the product really runny?

• Susan Myers

This particular craft is meant only for horizontal surfaces. Yes, it is too runny. I would recommend paint meant for glass.

• Pat

You can always get an acrylic panel in the same size and then attach it into the window frame

• Angel Rodriguez

You can also get a product at Home Depot that is a decorative vinyl film that goes onto glass surfaces with soapy water.

• Sharon Sommer

Window insert
      , This was done on plexi glass inserted in my window where I can take with me if I move
  • Melissa

I see you have white glue and clear glue listed in your supplies but I don't see where you specify using the clear compared to the white. Please help.

• Leg5984602

she added her paint colors to the clear glue for the "stained glass"

• Sammie0927

When you add the acrylic spray do you let it dry or do you start tracing while its wet??
  • GondorUr

HI there, love the idea the glass looks great! I would like to try this on the inside glass panels of a porch light. Do you know if there's any issue with the stained glass if it sits in front of a light bulb for extended time?
    , The idea is to paint the inside panels of something like this
    • Susan Myers

Hi! I'm not sure if this particular technique would survive being outside. I don't think the heat of the light would be an issue, but any moisture might be. I would use glass paint meant for this type of thing for anything outside.
  • Jessica Jones

I tried to mix the glue and paint but it was too runny. I'm applying it to wine bottles and glasses. Is there another type of glue I should use?
    • Susan Myers

This project is meant to only be worked on horizontal surfaces. I would recommend regular glass paint for wine bottles and glasses.
  • Rose

Is this paint okay to use on the glass garden flowers we make from dishes
    • Susan Myers

This is not a waterproof-outside project. I would use regular glass paint for that.
    • Jim_transue

You can buy clear urethane sealer in a spray can. This project may not be intended for the outdoors, but experimentation may show that the sealer will protect it.
  • Deb Rees

WE had several bubbles in ours, how do we avoid these??
  • Would

Could I use black hot glue for the outline?? Sounds like a fun project.
  • Kate

I tried this for a classroom decoration project...The paint is very opaque, and the light doesn't shine through nicely. I think perhaps I did not mix enough glue in my paints? However, I can turn them around and they look lovely....I'm wondering if I should just do the leading on the opposite side, so the lines are nice and tight....Or should I just start over. (Not a happy thought....)
    • Susan Myers

If you like the way that they look on the opposite side, then by all means go ahead and add leading. When mixing the paint with the glue, one drop of paint is plenty to tint about 3 tbsp. of glue. Hope that helps.
    • Barbara

How thick is the glue paint? Could I do this on a window that is permanent?
    • Joseph Robert Dunfe

Paint pigment is not transparent. Instead of paint, add some food coloring.
  • Cheryl Boe

Mine had no bubbles last night but when I woke this morning, there are bubbles everywhere and it’s dry! How do I fix it?
    • Susan Myers

I've never had one of mine do that. Usually if there are bubbles, they show up when making it. You can try adding more paint and glue on top of the dried. I'm not sure if that would change the effect or not. The main trick that I found was to stir the glue and paint very gently when mixing.
  • Catherine

Do you recommend any kind of glue?
    thank you
  • Jan Eckholdt

I cant find the pattern or list of supplies. Could you send me a link to pattern and supplies.
  • Vera De Bruycker

I live in a rental m=home and would like to try this on a window, is it later easy to remove?

• Susan Myers

This particular technique needs to be done horizontally. For a window, I would recommend actual glass paint, which I do not think is easily removed.

• Anna

I went I went to the Dollar Store and picked up a roll of clear shelf liner. It was easily cut to fit my entire window in my bathroom shower. I just did the project on it. My privacy issues were resolved and I have a beautiful stained glass to look through while I'm bathing. And when I'm ready to move I just peel the shelf liner off.

• Theresa D'Ambrosio

Hi there, thank you for this awesome and oh-so-doable project! I'm wondering if this could be made removable? Kind of like peel and stick? I would like to be able to change it with the seasons but don't want it to be damaged in the changing process.

• Susan Myers

You could do the project on a piece of plexiglass and then just remove the plexiglass when you are wanting to change out. It does not peel off cleanly. Hope that helps!

• Theresa D'Ambrosio

Thank you very much. That helps a lot!

• Sherry Hawkins Saunders

WI'll this fade or crack in direct sunlight over time

• Susan Myers

Mine is about 5 years old now and showing a bit of fading. So I would say if you are wanting something permanant to stand the test of time, you should spend the money on glass paints made for this purpose.

• Melinda

Glass paints also fade over time.

• Embree

My glue and black paint mix ended up really runny, has anyone else had this problem? Did I use too much black paint or would it come down to the glue I used?

• Susan Myers

I used elmers white glue and just a touch of black paint. It sounds like you might have added too much paint. It doesn't take a lot to color the glue.

• Dee27340795

I tried this for my first time a couple months ago n just finished my painting.I maid a pic of a barn with grass n clouds for my mom she loves the barn country seen.I put the little stain glass looking squares all around it n i have to say i turned out really nice.Fun project n i will be starting another stain glass painting very soon!! Try it!! You'll Love it!! Enjoy!!

• Dana Grossman Hekman

i have an old door with 12 glass panels, I’d like to do this but have it outside. Will the glue adhere in outdoor conditions with the sealant on. I did see outdoor modge podge that I thought about putting on it. Which would work better?

• Susan Myers

For anything outdoors, or for that matter, vertical, I would not recommend this method. I would recommend using glass paints made for this type of project.

• Suzie Abele

Can a person use matte Mod-podge instead of adhesive spray for glass prep?

• Suzie Abele

And for finishing, can one use gloss Mod-podge?

• Can16170344

I had an issue with the colored sections shrinking as they dried which left a space between the color and the lead lines. Any idea if I used too much paint or glue?

• Susan Myers

You need to use more paint/glue mixture. You want it to overlap the lead lines a bit.

• Can16170344

I went all the way to the edge and used the flood method with a tool that pushes the mixture up onto the edge of the lead line.

• Yocheri

Once completed how do you hang them without leaning them on a ledge. What do i attach on the back?

• Bracha Melzer

Love it and want to begin immediately - where do I get the free patterns?

• Elise

Did you have to do this in one sitting or can you do it over several days as time permits?

• Cathy Corsaro Muhlbaier

Can you do this to a sliding glass door just in the middle

• Susan Myers

You would have to make your project horizontal. I would recommend real glass paints for that project.

• Lou

How would you seal it to hang it outside?

• Susan Myers

This technique is not meant for outdoors. Your best choice for outdoors is real glass paint.

• Maude LaFountain

Can you use the white elmers glue ?.....I have a gallon of it !!!!

• Susan Myers

You can use it for the leading, but you would need to use clear glue for the colors.

• Dorian Hinesly

How does it hold up when the California afternoon sun hits it?

• Rhonda Polfus-Herrod

I’m sorry but I cannot locate the link for the pattern?

thank you!

• Rhonda Polfus-Herrod

When my paint dried it was mat not glossy. What should I do? It looked so dull.

• Susan Myers

In the last photo, you can see that mine dried matte also. When you hold it to light, it will give the impression of stained glass.

• Susie Molina

Maybe the spray sealer will add shine to it?

• Vonette Slusser

What a great idea! Can't wait to try it!

• Doris

This seem to be much easier to work with the clue than the lead paint which is very hard to work with. Love peacock might even to try it great job.