Treadle Sewing Machine Cabinet Repair

$0
Advanced

When her father passed away, my son's fiancee had the painful task of going through his belongings. When she discovered this sewing machine that belonged to her grandmother in the attic, she asked me if I could fix it for her.
We both agreed, being a family owned piece, it should remain antique looking for memory purposes.
antique treadle sewing machine cabinet repair and upcycle, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
It was missing the front drawer. (By looking inside of the structure, I could tell it was a single drawer.) It very well may have been a flip open as most were. The space allowed is narrow, because of the way the sewing machine lays when inside the cabinet.
It was also missing the two side drawers and its framework on the right.
The top cover had a lot of veneer damage, right down to the under wood. It was also age stained.
Luckily, I had some parts from a previous treadle machine upcycle I worked on:
I could utilize the drawer framework and the front from my salvaged project for the missing parts.
The not so lucky parts:
I didn't have the extra side drawers.
I scrounged around everywhere on Ebay and Craigslist for some, thinking I'd buy four to make them all match, or even just two and make them match, but didn't find the right size, nor did I have the time for Ebay bidding, shipping and repairs in time to surprise Emily for Christmas. Thinking she would appreciate having this during her first Christmas without her father, I really wanted to have it done.
After several crazy drawer ideas swirling in my head, the best one hit me, why not cut into the existing drawer frame to divide the drawers to go on to each side of the cabinet? They would be original, but modified.
I cleaned and painted the iron.
Cut off the frame work on the left.
And built the frame on the right side of the cabinet.
Added the leftover pieces from my salvaged parts: Two front pieces and a swing drawer.
Kept the machine antique by sanding and conditioning the wood. Painted the drawer pulls to match the iron.
And there was an elated Granddaughter. She loved the modification and was happy to have her heirloom restored.
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

3 questions on this project
  • Linda sullivan
    Apr 26, 2018

i have this type of machine cabinet too . The veneer is splitting away from the top and edges of machine. How did you remove the veneer with out damaging the wood under it?

• I layed a wet towel over the veneer. Once the remaining veneer started to get damp and ripple, I removed it with a putty knife. Most came off, but it took a few attempts, using a wet towel to eventually a damp towel so the oak underneath didn't get damaged.

• Patty Kay Hall
    Aug 10, 2017

Hi Robin, Your cabinet turned out to be beautiful. I just acquired a cabinet made of oak, already stripped, that looks very similar to yours in its shape and drawer carving designs. My cabinet has no markings or sewing machine so I have no idea about what company might have manufactured it. I think I read that you have a sewing machine to go with it and I am wondering what the company is so I can maybe get a machine to go in the cabinet. My cabinet has 3 drawers down each side and three in the middle but the carvings are nearly identical. Thankyou for any information you are willing to offer. I have been unable to find anything that looks similar but had a great hit here on Pinterest. :) Patty

• Patty Kay Hall
      Sep 30, 2017

Thank you, so much! I'm no word worker so I'll probably just stick with the refinishing part. :) Can I ask what you used to finish the wood (I"m not sure if that's the right term) Thankyou again :) Patty

• Trista
    Feb 06, 2017

I have an old 1905 white treadle. The cabinet needs some repair that I am not sure where to start. The lid broke on my way home but I'm not sure it gluing it back together will hold. The tension wire also could use a new on. Not sure how the repair. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

, Clean break, All the weight is on the large part of the lids not the hinge, The moves rough as the cable is bent Will not allow the front to fall all the way forward when closed, Center all intact only the top of the lid is missing it

• Deanna Mills
    Jan 03, 2017

Restoring these old sewing machines are hard work. It took me all summer to remove the cracked white paint off the old cast iron bottom of a Singer sewing machine I bought at a flea market for $15.00. Thanks for advice from friends on this site it's done and beautiful. Now I'm going to make the top out of some wood that is over 170 years old and use it for a T.V. stand. Thanks, everyone for your advice and help.

• Absolutely beautiful