Powder Room Makeover

So, I want to use this blog to also talk about our most recent purchase - a lake house in Wisconsin. It had always been our dream to purchase an old home and completely renovate it. I know many people want the "turn-key" ready house, but to me, that's boring. I wanted something we could really leave our imprint on and add in our own personal touch. Well, this house has proved to be nothing short of a place that we can make our own...and by that I mean, literally every square inch of the house needs work. Going through this renovation has been somewhat of an emotional roller-coaster. We'll get so excited about new ideas and projects, but then feel completely dejected when we uncover some new problem of the house. There are many times when we've asked ourselves, "What were we thinking?! We're in over our heads!" But then we think about all the great memories to be made in the future and think, "Ok, this is going to be the best dumb decision we've ever made!" With that, I'm excited to unveil the first room makeover...the powder room!
powder room makeover, bathroom ideas, home improvement, how to, small bathroom ideas, tile flooring
Here are a couple before pics
She's a beauty, huh?! Half done paneling that's coming off the wall, peeling linoleum flooring, bright orange walls, no trim, wobbly toilet. I'm getting anxiety just writing this!
I knew I wanted to keep this room clean and simple. Here's the scope of work:
-New Electrical
-New Plumbing
-Repair Drywall
-Add beadboard and trim
-New Flooring
-Replace fixtures
-New door and hardware
-Paint
Like I said...clean, simple and refreshing!
My favorite part about this room is definitely the flooring. We went with a Carrera marble basket weave design. It's a busy pattern so it works great in a smaller space like this. We trimmed it off with 8" baseboards which gives the room a vintage feel. You just don't see the thick baseboards as much anymore.
I've got to give Kyle the credit for our unique soap dispenser. One of our favorite Italian restaurants in the city has these dispensers in its washrooms and Kyle was adamant that we find one for our space. Although the dispenser may have been his idea, it was me who fought the long, hard battle on E-bay to win this thing. I was determined to come out on top and would stop at nothing! Let's just say it's definitely the most expensive soap dispenser I've ever purchased. But then I think, "It has a special meaning to us and it's things like this that truly create a personalized space." So it's all good!
Since we opted for the pedestal sink, I had to get creative with storage space. I found this cute chicken egg wire basket at Home Goods. Works for me!
We tried to keep the vintage feel with the high arc faucet.
And of course, we had to bring in some sort of "lake house" decor. I found these prints at a boutique in Petoskey, MI. I think they add the perfect pop of color to the room.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with the way this room turned out. It still amazes me when I look at the "Before" pictures and remember having to hold my breath when I'd walk by the room. Now, I just walk by and smile!

Ashley Harding