Guest Bathroom Makeover {Before & After}

$1
1 Minute

Just after Thanksgiving, I started on a major home improvement project – remodeling the downstairs guest bathroom! While the handyman completed construction before Christmas, I hadn’t yet shared the final result because I wasn’t quite done decorating. But I am now and can’t wait to show you how it turned out! Warning: I like monochromatic and neutral color schemes! The bathroom started out as a builder-grade creation straight out of the ’80s, complete with cultured marble countertops and shower walls, brass everything, fluorescent lighting, leaky faucet, leaky toilet, and a mismatched patched flooring. The biggest improvement was the new lighting, which completely brightened the space and took it from a shadowy yellow glowing room to a bright white room. The vanity was replaced with a dresser that has been converted into a vanity with a drop-in sink. New flooring, paint, and wallpaper completed the transformation from builder-grade to beautiful! Full details, photos, and sources are available in the blog post.
There are those that will say this comparison photo shows as poorly taken Before photo and a good After, but I promise this is the *best* I could make the Before photo! I even brightened it a bit just so that the room was more visible, but the room was just dark! No special lighting or processing was done to the After photos.
The bathroom is an interior room, so there are no windows in the space. To add interest, I decided to include a lot of architectural details like wainscoting, wallpaper, and beadboard.
This is a painted dresser that has been converted into a vanity.
Only a small U-shape had to be cut from the two large drawers to accommodate the plumbing. They are still fully functioning and actually offer better storage than the original vanity since the new vanity is taller and slightly deeper than the old.
A small vintage hand mirror and comb hang above the toilet with an old sewing drawer to hold spare toiletries.
A decorative board hides the shower curtain rod and the shower liner is tucked behind a decorative, ruffled curtain.

• Stuff
  • Stuff

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Kim {Tidbits&Twine}

• Margaret DeWindt
    Margaret DeWindt

I love your vanity? Is it chalk paint that you used on it? I'd like the brand, technique, and color please. Thanks!

• Linda Harp
    Linda Harp

Beautiful makeover! I've always wanted to repurpose an old dresser in this way. Any tips?

• Theresa Stewart
    Theresa Stewart

I am also re purposing an old ornate dresser into a vanity. Where did you get that gorgeous sink? It would be perfect for my bathroom!

• Falkonladi8
    Falkonladi8

Just a spectacular job! So nicely done and great trim and details for an inner bath with no windows, fabulous!
  • Connie J Wight
    Connie J Wight

I love the white brightness of it. And the dresser, of course. Great job.