Board & Batten Navy and White Living Room

It was time to update our circa 2000 Pottery-barn-inspired living room. The red walls and red couch were replaced with a more neutral pallet of navy and white, featuring a crisp white faux board and batten wall treatment. This post offers a before and after of the living room reveal.

Here's the same angle of the living room before. A red accent walls and colorful Pottery Barn rug.

The red couch anchored the room -- and limited the color options for decorating. The tape on the wall is my faux board & batten trick. first tape out where the MDF board would go and paint over it with glossy white paint. When you remove the tape you have a perfect template of where you should attach your boards.

Here's a picture of the living room reveal, featuring a navy & white color pallet with some accents of coral.

We opted to invest in a neutral Pottery Barn couch. The navy on the walls is Sherwin Williams Naval. But what really set the tone for the whole design is the blue & white striped rug.

The view looking back into the sage colored dining room. That room received the same navy and white board and batten wall treatment. And is now anchored with the same blue & white rug.

Here's the same view after (with a sneak peak at the dining room).

Another view of the final. It's become a favorite room in the house!

Linda @ it all started with paint

• Brenda Trainor

Yes please tell me too what are the sizes of your wood and what type of wood are you using. I want to do our spare bedroom this weekend so I had better get to Home Depot. Need the sizes and kind of wood. Thanks I love your navy and white going to do mine the same

• Wandamurline

I love the light fixture on your ceiling fan....where did you get it?

• Lisa Landsberg

I love it!! Can you tell me what size mdf boards were used and the spacing between them?

• CS

I love this. You gave me just the inspiration I've been looking for. :) I have a large front living room and it seems cold and lacking personality. Plus for the time being, I'm working with kelly green carpet. I am going to work with the white, navy, and green in paint and textures. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!