Mudroom Renovation for Under $120

$120

Our mudroom lacked function and beauty. See how we changed all that for under $120!

mudroom renovation for under 120, foyer, laundry rooms, organizing, storage ideas

Let me start out by saying, I'm cheap. Like, really cheap. Like, for example, I own two pairs of sweatpants and wear them constantly cheap because I refuse to spend money on more sweatpants. I also have expensive tastes. Like, I love Pottery Barn. (That's too many 'likes'. I swear I'm not a valley girl, I swear it!) These two things, being cheap and having expensive tastes, they fight with one another like an old married couple. Which is why I usually end up trying to find away to renovate and decorate for as cheap as humanly possible, while still making the room beautiful. Which is the story of our mudroom... It took us a year after moving into our house to renovate the mudroom. See those paint stripes on the walls. Yeah, I looked at those for a year. Ticked me off overtime too. The room started out terribly ugly with no space for shoes, counters, or dog stuff. There was no outlet behind the dryer, so we had to plug the dryer in across the room like a bunch of hillbillies and step under the cord to get outside. I get anxious just thinking about it. I have mudroom PTSD I think. But with a little sweat equity and some Goodwill treasures, my husband and I changed all that. And the total cost $120. Win for the cheap girl! And the final look, b-e-a-utiful. Win for the woman with expensive tastes!

The first step - PAINT! We went with Benjamin Moore's Intense White paint. Which really isn't white at all, but a nice soft grey.

The second step - give the room some CHARACTER! We did a little paneling project on the wall opposite the dryer. It was super easy and fun to do. It gives the room a cottage feel. I love it. And that mirror - it was $8 at Goodwill!

The third step - add FUNCTION. Yes, oh course beauty came first. hehe. We added two cubby systems for shoe storage. This has been very helpful. Come in from outside and boop, set your shoes down, so much better than dragging mud through the house. My husband got some wood at the Home Depot, stained it, and made counters. It's so nice having a place to set things. Oh, and do you notice anything about the tile? How about the grout looks so much cleaner. Well, I scrubbed it for 16 hours - NOT! I painted it with a grout marker.

The fourth step - add more PRETTY. The cupboard system that was originally in the mudroom wasn't symmetrical and that really bothered me. We got rid of the long cupboard, spaced apart the two small cupboard, and added shelves.

TADA - a functional and pretty mudroom. All for less than $120.

Theresa Rayner

• Map28363315

What happened to the dogs? No bowls in new room!

• NancyMaria

It is probably on the other side of the room out of picture.

• Linny

How do you plug in the dryer now? Did you do electrical work?

• Deb

Do you have photos of the opposite wall? is that where your washer is?

• NancyMaria

Great Job!!! Just an idea from experience, everything falls behind the dryer and at least you can move the cabinets and get to it. But you might want to place a small strip of wood behind the back of the dryer going from unit to unit and you could just hang it with 90 degree brackets on the backside of the new units like little L's or even from the wall, and it would be another usable space too.

• Debbie

we have got to do something with ours. it is the biggest junk room. if it doesn't have a place it gets put in to mine..