Coastal Cottage Shelf Using Old Fence Pickets!

I was out thrifting a couple of weeks ago when I found a wonky little shelf. For $4 I figured at the very least I could add some bead board to the back and give it a fresh coat of paint. But then I remembered my recently acquired stash of old fence pickets I rescued from a house that was being flipped. Here's how I transformed that little shelf:
And here is how it started:
So sad, but that's okay...help was on the way!
Here are the fence pickets I used...
I used my chop saw to cut them to size.
Then I gave them a wash effect by painting them with flat latex paint and immediately wiping the paint back off with a dry rag. The rest of the shelf was painted in DIY chalk paint and waxed. (See those details at the link at the bottom.)
The washed fence pickets gave this little shelf an instant coastal cottage feel.
My ironstone looks right at home here.
This shelf is just one of the 31 thrifty makeovers I'm sharing this month. It's March Madness, 31 thrifty Makeovers in 31 Days, and I still have a few makeovers left to share. See this project and catch up on the rest at the link below! :)

The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Confessions of a Serial DIYer