Straw Bale Garden Update, and Some Garden Cuteness

Here's an update for my "Straw Bale Garden" adventure. My support poles have gone in and been drilled, two rows of vine wires installed, soaker hoses installed and staked, A fun little project was making the Garden stakes. bales conditioned and ready to plant. Tomorrow I put up the bird netting and plastic sheeting to protect the plants and seeds. Getting ready to plant on Wednesday I think! Come check out my blog post to see the details and follow along.
Fun garden stakes I made with laser cut-outs and pine stakes.
Support poles for vines wire and plastic sheeting.
Soaker hoses installed and tested. I'm ready to plant. Check out my blog post for more detailed information.

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Debbie Harris

• Lori

Yes I typed in soaker hoses. Darn spell check. What I was asking was they appear to be on the straw bales not the ground. Is that enough water for the plants? Super great idea and I LOVE your markers. Putting that on my honey do list.

• Debbie Harris

If your garden area is in a lot of shade, consider what to plant. There are some things that do well in the shade, or with less sun. I planted sweet potatoes at the end of my driveway in an area that was about 6 feet square and it didn't get much sun during the day, maybe about 3 hours. I had enough sweet potatoes to feed an army out of that area and I'd never attempted to grow them before. So trial and error. Can't hurt to try! I wish I had a flat area to garden but my property is all on a hill.

• Jennifer

I am a bit confused - you say your planting in bails of straw or hay but I also see lots of bags of potting soil and garden soil. What are they for? Also where is your blog?

• Debbie Harris

To go to the blog just hit the go button in the more information box up above the questions area. Thanks for asking.

• Carolyn hunt

How did you condition the bales.Also what are the black posts beyond the wooden support posts? They look almost like black strapping in your photos. Photos of the plastic threaded between the wire would be helpful. Thanks