How to Clean Your Garbage Disposal

$10

So with all the recipe testing we do in our kitchen, we are bound to make quite a mess and have some interesting smells coming from the garbage disposal- ha! Now that it’s officially spring, time to jump into some spring cleaning!! Here is a trick I saw that is easy, fast, and smells great!!

Ingredients:
  • cut citrus fruit (lemons, limes, oranges)
  • distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • cupcake tray

Directions:

Cut up your fruit into small bite size pieces. Then fill each cup in your tray with fruit and fill with vinegar just below the line. Time to freeze! Let the tray sit in the freezer for 24 hours. The next day, pop out a cube (nope don’t eat it!) and run some water in your sink. Pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the sink and allow for a slow trickle of water while you drop your cube in. (It should fizz a little!) Then grind away and smell that freshness!! This will even help with sharpening blades!! (tip** if you plan to store these cubes in freezer in a ziploc be sure to label so someone doesn’t think they are ice cubes!)

smelly garbage disposal? Have no fear!

chop your fruit up…

Fils cupcake trays with fruit

Add distilled white vinegar to each cupcake tin and pop in the freezer for 24 hours!
These look like frozen treats but don't eat them! Haha!

Now it's time to put them to the test!

Grab your baking soda!

pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the sink

plop in your cube with a trickle of water and turn on the garbage disposal, smells sooooo good!

oh happy day!!

Happy spring cleaning ya’ll!

xoxo,

Sam

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Memorial Day Crafts
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Zest it Up

• Alita Lindsey Chastain

Why can people can not use limon juice ? Does it NOT WORK? like fresh fruit does.

• Cynthia Carroll Hall

Actually, I use lemon juice, ice cubes and baking soda in cleaning my garbage disposal. I learned the hard way not to put small pieces of oranges in my disposal for cleaning as it clogged the pipe. What a mess. Disposal is older still works great, but I am careful how much and what I put down it. Then I use hot soap, water and an old glass scrubber to clean the rubber cover at the top of the disposal. The rubber can be flipped up and cleaned under it with the scrubber and you don't have to touch it.

• Alita Lindsey Chastain

• Susie

And the fresh fruit helps sharpen the blades naturally.... It also helps clean any residue from previous grinding off the blades...

• Alita Lindsey Chastain

• Mellie Mel

I'll definitely be trying this!

• Grandmasue10

The cubes of citrus fruit would probably be great in iced tea!

• Lorraine

I would not waste good citrus fruit to clean my dishwasher I would and I do squeeze lemon juice into cubes for my lemonade,,,,,,then what's left of the lemon is frozen and used in the dishwasher to clean I am very conservative I guess