Karen Nichols
Karen Nichols
  • Selma, CA

Rusty Cart to Fairy Garden

A friend of mine was cleaning up his yard at a rental property. He offered this old rusty garden cart to me. Of course!! I will figure something out to do with it.
rusty cart to fairy garden, container gardening, crafts, gardening, painting, repurposing upcycling
I sanded and cleaned and painted until I could barely recognize it was the same cart.
My initial thought for it was to turn into a planter, but I loved the colors so much and wanted something just a little more special to display. Fairy Garden?! YES!!
The final fun details on this cart....I hand painted a Wisteria vine on the front. Love how this garden turned out.

• Jewellmartin

Your fairy garden is very pretty. I like the fact that it can be pushed to a safer area if a storm is coming. What are the blue things in the pretty dish? They look like painted seashells but I'm not sure. Best wishes!
    • M

they look like they are those glass stones .
  • Bbunny42

Great job! Did you make holes in the bottom for drainage? I have a wheelbarrow I want to make a succulent garden out of.

• Karen Nichols

No I didn't drill any holes in this project but before I filled with soil, I put some rocks and broken up styrofoam in the bottom first. The plants I used were pretty drought tolerant as well.

• Alys

Nicely done! I have a fairy garden as well and get hours of entertainment from it. Great idea using the old cart. You've refurbished it beautifully.

• Karen Nichols

@Alys , thanks....and to think, I almost passed on this little cart. Glad I didn't!

• Sherry Fram

That is just adotable!! Love it!